Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes (PICS) Slight crust in the corner if guinea pig's eye?

HoodedPotato

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have a female guinea pig (6 1/2 months) who lately has been having slight crust in the corner of her eye. It doesn't look serious; kind of like what's in the corner of our eyes when we wake up. She acts normally, eats fine, poops fine, pees fine, nothing seems off. It's a slight yellowish/skin color. Should I be worried?

Not sure if images loaded. If they didn't, links are below.

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Attachments

IMG_0675.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0672.jpg

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I can't see anything there, but I think I know what you mean. Sometimes guinea pigs get a little bit of sleep in their eye, or "dried rheum" as it's scientifically called. If you can gently wipe it out and she doesn't seem to be squinting or otherwise in pain at all, and is acting normal, she's probably fine and just didn't wipe her face very thoroughly.

HoodedPotato

Cavy Slave
I can't see anything there, but I think I know what you mean. Sometimes guinea pigs get a little bit of sleep in their eye, or "dried rheum" as it's scientifically called. If you can gently wipe it out and she doesn't seem to be squinting or otherwise in pain at all, and is acting normal, she's probably fine and just didn't wipe her face very thoroughly.
Thanks for the answer! I know, it's really hard to see, but it's sort of "above" the corner of her eye. Slightly yellow and sand-like. It's good to know that it's probably nothing bad though! I was panicking because I know one of the most important things to look out for is crusty eyes! I don't want anything to happen to my beloved Lexi!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Ooh, I kinda see what you mean now. Yeah, it's still probably nothing, just a little bit of grooming fluid dried in the fur. Keep an eye out to make sure she's acting normal, esp. her eating, energy, and breathing, but as long as that's all good, so is she :) (Also, Lexi is a great name for her, super cute.) Good luck with everything!

HoodedPotato

Cavy Slave
Ooh, I kinda see what you mean now. Yeah, it's still probably nothing, just a little bit of grooming fluid dried in the fur. Keep an eye out to make sure she's acting normal, esp. her eating, energy, and breathing, but as long as that's all good, so is she :) (Also, Lexi is a great name for her, super cute.) Good luck with everything!
Aww thanks. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to name her, and I thought Lexi was fitting. It's cute and girly and just what I wanted. On the other hand, if I ever get a male, I'm naming him Sebastian. I think it's very "big" and royal, and totally not fit for a tiny little rodent =). Which is exactly why I think that's adorable lol.

Also here are some more pictures of her since you seem to be interested =). I have no idea why they are sideways, since my phone was not sideways when I took these. Oh well! I don't think it interferes with much.

Attachments

IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0683.jpg IMG_0695.jpg IMG_0687.jpg

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
She's lovely... I adore her white spots and her curious, pointy little face. And Sebastian is a good name too :)

HoodedPotato

Cavy Slave
Thanks =). I adore her white spots as well. She's quite a plump piggy, and she has such a quirky nature. I think that's what makes her so lovable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.