Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage College and future additions

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. As you may know, I recently lost my beloved Guinness. He was 4 years old and I have no idea what happened. Vet said a stroke. However, his cage mate, Keko, seems a little bad. Bad news is I'm going to college in August. All the way in Chicago, about 4 hours from home. As a student with anxiety and separation anxiety, I am thinking about getting a doctor's permission for an ESA (emotion support animal) so I can take my pigs to college with me and they can live with me. I would have plenty of room for a 2x5 c&c cage in my dorm (they're actually apartment style and I have my own bedroom to myself.) Do you all think it would be a good idea to get Keko a new friend and take them to school with me? They will get plenty of interaction time and have a 2x5 cage.

Here's my other question: Keko is a very submissive pig. He's about 4 years old so I plan on pairing him with a baby male.. (or 2) DO you think with his age and all considered, a trio of males would be fine? I would be prepared to separate and add more pigs as I will have room, but would a 2x5 be adequate enough for 3 males? I wasn't thinking so but just wanted a second opinion.

Thank you!
Cody

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Trios of boars very rarely work out, 2 is much more likely to be successful, and a 2x5 wouldn't be big enough for three boars. I would just get the one cagemate. Good luck getting permission to bring them with you. (Do make sure you'll be able to afford their care before bringing them, though, I know a lot of "broke college student" stereotypes are more true than anyone would like.)

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
I already have a 4 years of experience. I have all the supplies for the 2x5 ready to go. I will for sure be able to afford it. Thanks for the luck but I already actually got permission :)

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
I decided to just stick with two boars. I should be picking up my new baby soon! I am adopting him from someone rehoming him <33

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Congrats! Hope everything goes well. (Also, make sure to double-check the sex before you put them together!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.