685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    So happy! He's not ready to leave the person who is fighting for him! ❤

How funny about the carrier. Mooshy and now Bella know it means something unpleasant lies ahead.. and I get their butt view!��

Go sly❣
    Usually when I take him, he stands at the bars of the carrier, and lets me scratch his nose and just stares at me giving me big sad eyes. Even when I hand him off to the vet techs (which rips my heart out EVERY time) he's standing there, staring at me.

Not this time. He was MAD, and he let me know it. And he was mad when he came home, too. Although today is a much better day.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

Every time Sly goes in for dental work, I figuratively hold my breath until I know that he came through yet another procedure. I called Chester my "Miracle Boy" with all that he had endured....until the day that he ran out of miracles.

Once gain, Sparky & Chip say "way to go, Sly........you're a real trooper". (Their Mom breathes a sigh of relief)

3. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Every time Sly goes in for dental work, I figuratively hold my breath until I know that he came through yet another procedure. I called Chester my "Miracle Boy" with all that he had endured....until the day that he ran out of miracles.

Once gain, Sparky & Chip say "way to go, Sly........you're a real trooper". (Their Mom breathes a sigh of relief)
    You know how much yours, and the boys support means to us. The days he goes in are pure hell for me. I don't sleep the night before, can't concentrate during the day and always have a stress headache. Only when I know he's home safe and sound and appears to be doing well, I can let myself relax.

I know I don't have to relate those feeling to you. I KNOW you already know exactly how it feels, going through what you did with Chester. I know one day Sly's willpower and miracles will run out, but that day is not today. Today he's running, playing with his bell ball, popcorning his pigloo and eating. LOTS of eating. His pellets are his best friend today.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Where he gets the impossible willpower, I have no idea. He just keeps going, and if he could smile I know darn well he would. Sometimes it seems like he is, anyway.
    Its due to your love, care and attention. They know. Everyone told me mooshy and now bella would be depressed not having a buddy. Nope. Lots of Bella coming over to play with me excited, popcorning, squeaking. I'm literally 2 " from her pen on the couch at her level. In fact she is so tied to me that when I happen to be gone a long time, when I come back, she's hardly touched anything. Even her fav veggies. Clean pen like how I left it. Then they see me back on my spot on the couch and it's back to eating and playing with me with the games we have. I worry if I need to be away for a day. She shuts down. I can't have a second one. I'm on low income disability trying hard not to go into debt. I really believe mooshy died because she was left without me for a few days, in addition to the heat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Its due to your love, care and attention. They know. Everyone told me mooshy and now bella would be depressed not having a buddy. Nope. Lots of Bella coming over to play with me excited, popcorning, squeaking. I'm literally 2 " from her pen on the couch at her level. In fact she is so tied to me that when I happen to be gone a long time, when I come back, she's hardly touched anything. Even her fav veggies. Clean pen like how I left it. Then they see me back on my spot on the couch and it's back to eating and playing with me with the games we have. I worry if I need to be away for a day. She shuts down. I can't have a second one. I'm on low income disability trying hard not to go into debt. I really believe mooshy died because she was left without me for a few days, in addition to the heat.
    I totally understand. You were Mooshy's, and now Bella's, world. I have to believe that Mooshy was sad when you had to go away, yes. But she knew you would come back. You always did, right? Couple that with the heat and not good enough care, and sadly I think it was too much for her. Mooshy had hope. I truly hope you know that. You'd always come back to her. Please don't put her loss on yourself.

Bella now is also always used to having you around. When you're not there, it's not fun. She has nothing to do and no one to talk to or play with. You are her world, and she loves you. I hope that there are steps you can take to have someone with her, if you have to be away again. I think she'd like that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Update for Sly:

3 days after surgery. I'm pretty sure Sly had lost a little weight in the few days prior to surgery, but after this mornings weigh in he has lost almost 50 grams since last Sunday. His appetite SEEMS good, he's eating his vegetables but not all of them ( he rarely does ) and he's not eating whole baby carrots. I've had to cut them into strips, and he's still not finishing them. He IS in his pellets a fair bit, but difficult to tell how many he eats in one sitting.

When he gets his afternoon "cookie" (Oxbow joint support tabs crushed into Critical Care with a few drops of liquid vitamin C) he gobbles it down completely.

I expected him to lose weight, but I hate that he lost that much. He's just barely over 1200 grams right now. Hopefully his ability to eat and appetite increase over the coming week.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

If he were mine, I would be supplementing with Critical Care, possibly twice a day. That was the only way I could keep weight on Chester.

If he is eating pellets, then I would mix oats (plain dry rolled oats) with his pellets. That is known to help to put weight on. You are now in the phase of doing anything you can to put/keep weight on him and that includes higher calorie intake than most vegetables provide.

Chester didn't know that he was a herbivore and loved people food....and we permitted him to have it given the circumstances. He liked scrambled eggs, hamburger w/o cheese, and pizza.....anything to get more food into him. You may not wish to go that route, but I think you get the idea.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    If he were mine, I would be supplementing with Critical Care, possibly twice a day. That was the only way I could keep weight on Chester.

If he is eating pellets, then I would mix oats (plain dry rolled oats) with his pellets. That is known to help to put weight on. You are now in the phase of doing anything you can to put/keep weight on him and that includes higher calorie intake than most vegetables provide.

Chester didn't know that he was a herbivore and loved people food....and we permitted him to have it given the circumstances. He liked scrambled eggs, hamburger w/o cheese, and pizza.....anything to get more food into him. You may not wish to go that route, but I think you get the idea.
    I USED to give him Critical Care twice a day after his surgeries..... and he lost interest in it. He LOVES it mixed with the joint support tablets, but if it doesn't taste the same he just kind of turns his nose up at it. He's such a little ham.

A couple of surgeries ago, he was worse off than usual and had to actually be force fed for a few days. He really didn't like that excercise at all. He is eating more than he was Friday, which is a bonus. I know he'll be all right, I just really hate it when he loses weight. He's old and he already feels so bony, even though I know that 1200 grams is still a good weight.

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

I'm glad Sly is doing as well as he is, considering his condition. You've gone above and beyond to care for your boy, and I know he loves you for it. As for his feeling bony, remember that senior animals, like people, lose muscle mass and will feel bonier even at a good weight.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigmommy89 View Post
    I'm glad Sly is doing as well as he is, considering his condition. You've gone above and beyond to care for your boy, and I know he loves you for it. As for his feeling bony, remember that senior animals, like people, lose muscle mass and will feel bonier even at a good weight.
    I know. He was always a big boy, thick and muscular. Watching him turn into a little old man over the last 18 months, well, it's just heartbreaking. @spy9doc is right, their lives are far, far too short for the people who love them dearly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Sly's update:

The little bear cub has now endured his 11th molar planing. I honestly believe this is both a testament to what a tough little nut he really is, and what a fantastic vet he has.

Sly really did not gain any weight after the last surgery. He fell to 1180 grams in the 3 days post surgery in June, and got back up just over 1200. He remained there until this past week, where he went back down to 1180.

He's home now, the same little drunken sailor that he usually is. He hasn't eaten a lot, but he's been offered his favourites and he's gladly snapped them out of the offering fingers and gobbled what he's been given. No real interest in hay or pellets, but he's had some critical care and some greens and fruit.

Thanks
    Thanks
    515 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)

Glad to hear the little guy has had another successful procedure. You and your vet continue to do an amazing job with him!

14. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Yay sly! He loves you and his life so much. ❤

16. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

Sly, the miracle boy, does it again! We thought of you this past week when I had to take Sparky to the Vet. Thankfully, he doesn't have a heart problem and is apparently perfectly healthy. It brought back too many memories of those trips with Chester. Our best to Sly!

18. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Thank you, everyone. Sly thanks you too. I don't know how much credit I'm willing to take for any of this, it's just Sly's will to keep going and his vet doing a fantastic job. I asked him yesterday if he'd ever had a pig with that many dental planings and he flat out said, "No. Never."

I just give him all the love, food and fresh water he needs. He gets his Metacam every day, and some glucosamine and his "cookies". The rest is all him. He's eating very well today, surprisingly. I think this is the best I've seen him eat after a procedure in quite a while.

@spy9doc, Hopefully all is well with Sparky? I know you said all seems to be well, so hopefully it stays that way! We know similar trips with Chester all too well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Thank you, everyone. Sly thanks you too. I don't know how much credit I'm willing to take for any of this, it's just Sly's will to keep going and his vet doing a fantastic job. I asked him yesterday if he'd ever had a pig with that many dental planings and he flat out said, "No. Never."

I just give him all the love, food and fresh water he needs. He gets his Metacam every day, and some glucosamine and his "cookies". The rest is all him. He's eating very well today, surprisingly. I think this is the best I've seen him eat after a procedure in quite a while.

@spy9doc, Hopefully all is well with Sparky? I know you said all seems to be well, so hopefully it stays that way! We know similar trips with Chester all too well.
    Like humans, love and care go a long way in wanting to go on. Stats are people with depression and are alone die sooner. Mental and emotional health are very important along with a good exotic vet.

That's why mooshy got depressed and felt abandoned and decided not to hang in any longer. A week away from me was unheard of. Was 3 days max.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Like humans, love and care go a long way in wanting to go on. Stats are people with depression and are alone die sooner. Mental and emotional health are very important along with a good exotic vet.
    Love he's definitely got. My pigs are my children and I treat them as family members. He certainly seems to be a happy little fella!

Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Love he's definitely got. My pigs are my children and I treat them as family members. He certainly seems to be a happy little fella!
    Exactly. All pets should be loved and cared for that way. Too bad it's not like adopting a human child where you are closely screened.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Exactly. All pets should be loved and cared for that way. Too bad it's not like adopting a human child where you are closely screened.
    Agreed.

The little ham is out trolling his little brothers as we speak. He's such a funny little man.

24. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Woke up to a sick little man this morning.

He's always, always waiting at the bars for his pepper slice when I get up. This morning, no Sly. I called him and got his nose to poke out for a second, then back in. I lifted the house off him and moved it, and he ran back into it. I went to give him his metacam and glucosamine which he just loves. He took the metacam and refused everything else.

I gave him his slice of red pepper, and he nibbled at but not much. I mixed up critical care which he also loves. A few bites, nothing more. I picked him up to hold him, and I could hear a grunting, crackling noise when he breathes. His breathing seems to be somewhat laboured, his sides seem to move harder when he breathes. When I put him back in his cage, he went and laid face down in the corner.

Sly's vet is on vacation until Monday. I called the vet hospital and told them what I had, and they agreed that it is likely an upper respiratory infection. They're going to have antibiotics ready for me to pick up this afternoon. He's had one dose of Sulfatrim this morning that I had left over.

He's been up and around a little bit more since then. Picked a little at food, and I've seen him eat some hay and a few pellets.

User Tag List