Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Sly's Medical Thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly was rushed to the vets roughly an hour ago.

He wasn't overly active today, but when the weather is not nice outside that's nothing out of the ordinary. He was kind of sluggish coming out for his veggies around noon, but again nothing out of the ordinary.

Just before 5 o'clock, I noticed he was lying in his house with his head almost upside down. I could see his mouth. His eyes seemed almost rolled back, and I knew something was wrong. I woke him up, and he immediately ran. Off balance, and with his head tilted to the right.

His head stayed tilted, and he tried to act normal. He tried to sit up and wash his face, and kept falling over. So he washed one swipe with the right paw, one swipe with the left. Then he laid down again, with his head tilted.

I immediately called his vet, and I described his symptoms. He told me they were swamped, but if I was willing to wait he would make sure he would be seen. Upon arrival, there was a vet tech waiting outside for me. The waiting room was full, and there were people waiting outside. The vet tech brought me in the back door, and into the doctors office and Sly was seen immediately. His vet feels he has an ear infection, and he was given an injection of antibiotics. He was also given Sulfatrim, .05ml twice a day until finished.

I was also told to exit by the back door, and not to worry about the bill until next week. I don't know of any vets that treat their patients like we were treated today, and I realize that it isn't the norm even for our vet I'm sure. I can't express how much I appreciate them, and what they've done for us and our pigs over the years. I am very, very grateful.

I will update on Sly's condition as it changes, hopefully for the better. He is resting now, again sleeping with his head almost upside down. I know I've done everything I can for him right now, but I'm still terrified.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you, ladies. I do hope we caught it in time. He was just out eating his pellets a few minutes ago, so he's still eating. I've never been present when he's had a needle before, and indeed I believe he's always had them when under anesthetic from surgery. He doesn't wheek much any more, and when he got the needle today it was the most pitiful, pathetic, heartbreaking sounds I've EVER heard him make.

Poor little man can't seem to catch a break. I'm just glad that his vet was still in the clinic, and it was less than an hour til closing time when I called. I just feel very, very lucky.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
After a fairly sleepless night, Sly seems to be doing somewhat better.

I gave him his usual small pile of veggies at bedtime, around 9. He wouldn't touch them. He basically just went back in his house, and flopped over on his side and stayed there. I gave him a slice of cucumber to tempt him, and also to keep him hydrated as I saw him try to drink from his bottle but he seemed unable to balance himself enough to do it, and he gobbled it all. I brought him out to hold him, and he seemed to snuggle the ear that has the problem into my neck. I think perhaps the warmth might have soothed it?

After I took him back, he again flopped in his house, and stayed that way for quite some time. I checked him around 1a.m. and he hadn't moved. At 3:30 I checked, and he was still in his house, but he was sitting up and looking out. And when I got up for the day around 630, he was under his little wood bridge. The pile of vegetables was finally gone, and he'd been eating his pellets as well.

I gave him his slice of red pepper and his morning meds, and while he still seemed pretty unsteady, he had a light in his eyes that wasn't there last night, and the head tilt was less pronounced. As we speak he's been up walking some wobbly laps, pushing his plastic bowl around with his nose and eating some pellets.

Again, I must thank the Thorold Veterinary Hospital for everything they've done. I have no doubt that getting him in so fast, especially at the end of the day and being so busy, made all the difference for the little man.

I will update again later today, or tomorrow with Sly's progress. He starts with the oral antibiotic this morning.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're an awesome dad. When mooshy wasnt drinking enough water, i gave her some through those skinny syringes they give you for antibiotics. Staying hydrated is always important when dealing with gps with issues.

Thank you, Artista. You're very kind.

He tried drinking last night, but he couldn't seem to get his mouth to line up with the water bottle. He's a bit steadier this afternoon, to the point where he's been out trolling the young fellas a couple of times today, but he got tired rather quickly. He's been getting some wet veggies, and so far this seems to be doing the trick.

I have a TON of those 1ml syringes here. I use them for his daily metacam dose, but I'll set aside a couple for some filtered water.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you so much, ladies. Although I do believe it's the other way around, Sly is MY owner!

This morning was weigh in day, and not surprisingly his weight fell. He went down 23 grams. Not a big drop all things considered, and I was expecting more. He was out waiting for me this morning, grazing at his pellet bowl. He hasn't been drinking a LOT of water, but I did get 4ml of water into him via syringe yesterday, and last night finally he was at his water bottle on his own.

He's also steadier on his feet, after his meds and his red pepper, he was out in the pen moving around his big cardboard box with his nose, spinning it around. He appears to have a little of the playing spirit in him this morning, so very good news.

edit: I could hear clicking noises as I was typing, so I went to check on him. He's at the water bottle on his own, drinking quite a bit. So he's got enough of his balance back that he can drink easily enough on his own now.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's great. Maybe syringe him critical care to help with the weight thing.

As the day has worn on, his appetite has increased. He's eaten pellets on a regular basis today, and he ate all of his lunchtime veggies, which he normally doesn't do. His water consumption has also risen, pretty much back to normal levels.

He's eaten everything he's been given today, and eaten his regular diet as well. He's also much steadier on his feet. He can scratch with either back leg now and not fall over, something he had trouble with over the last couple of days.

All things considered, I do believe we caught it quickly enough and he's well on his way to recovery.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Guinea Pig Papa, I'm so happy to hear that he is doing much better.

Thank you, [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION]. It most certainly is a relief. He's not himself yet, and I know he's not out of the woods, but the improvement has been dramatic to say the least. When I first found him the way he was, I wasn't 100% positive if it was an inner ear infection or a stroke, because the symptoms came on SO suddenly. He is getting up there in years.

Just to see him more like his old self makes me feel so much better.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly at his pellet bowl this morning........

Forum edited my post and rotated the picture. It won't let me rotate it back the way it's supposed to be for some reason.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Two weeks after Sly's sudden illness, he is finishing his antibiotics. No real symptoms or problems since roughly 48 hours after his vet visit. I believe we've gotten rid of whatever it is.

He DID go for another checkup this past Thursday, and that included his teeth. Sad to say, he is now booked for his 10th dental surgery this coming Thursday, the 31st. His teeth are pointed again, and almost touching. So, the little bears' story continues.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Happy to hear he's doing better. He wouldn't have made it this far without you. Goooooo Sly❤

I'm sooooo worried about him. Honestly, he's so old now and he's gotten so bony (even though he's still 1250 grams) that every little thing just scares me so badly that I feel like every day is a gift.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yeah it sucks that our loves have to get older. I haven't gone through the older pet in decline. My birds and mooshy went without warning. While shocking and horrific I think it's easier to deal that way than nursing and not knowing if tomorrow is it. I feel for you. Sly knows how much you love him. That's the most important thing. While mooshy was so loved and taken care of well every minute of her life since I was home 24/7 for all her life, what she must have felt with my absence in a foreign place with much less attention than what I gave, and in the heat. She started dying the moment I left. She held on to I'd be back for a few days. But on 9/6/17 that dreadful wed i didn't get to her fast enough. She held on but gave up.

That afternoon my phone started blinking like a call was trying to come in. I picked up on one time and it was a long distant white noise. Kept acting up. Never had this happen before. Phone was charged and not old and never gave me trouble. At 7:30 pm when my friend and I found her she had passed a few hours before. They last checked on her at 7:30 am despite promising much more since it was hot.

Mooshy died alone thinking I abandoned her. The pain never goes away. The worst way to go.

You are by Slys side. He see and knows how much he is loved. That's the ultimate thing for our beloved pets, in addition to the proper care, diet, housing etc.

You have much respect from me. All animals should have a human parent like you.

I'll be thinking of you guys on the 31st. He's shown he's loving you and his life that he's not ready to give up yet. ❤

My heart aches for you with Mooshy. You have no idea. Poopy passed away around the same time I usually get up every morning, and I was mad because I got woke up in the middle of the night and I didn't get up at my usual time. I would have been with him when he passed, had I not been caught up in my own selfish pettiness. That realization has never gone away, and I'm determined not to repeat it with Sly. Mooshy knew you were coming back, but the people you entrusted her to failed in the most sacred of ways. They should have been there to see to her needs, and to keep her cool. Especially after your insistence that she didn't know heat. Mooshy is waiting for you to pick her up at the Rainbow Bridge, and she loves you so much she will wait for you no matter how long it takes.

I'm just happy Sly has the will to go on, being loved as much as he is.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update for my little bear:

Sly had his 10th dental surgery yesterday. He knew what was up, I think, and he didn't want to go. He kept his back turned the entire time in the carrier on the way there.

He came home around 3pm, full of energy for some reason. He went running some laps of his cage, went out to the pen to troll the young ones, and finally flopped in the house, as far away as he could get. He's not eating as much as I would like, but he is eating.

All in all, it appears to be another successful surgery for him. The inner ear infection he had a few weeks ago is completely gone.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Happy his ear cleared up quickly. Sly is such a trooper!

Where he gets the impossible willpower, I have no idea. He just keeps going, and if he could smile I know darn well he would. Sometimes it seems like he is, anyway.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So happy! He's not ready to leave the person who is fighting for him! ❤

How funny about the carrier. Mooshy and now Bella know it means something unpleasant lies ahead.. and I get their butt view!��

Go sly❣

Usually when I take him, he stands at the bars of the carrier, and lets me scratch his nose and just stares at me giving me big sad eyes. Even when I hand him off to the vet techs (which rips my heart out EVERY time) he's standing there, staring at me.

Not this time. He was MAD, and he let me know it. And he was mad when he came home, too. Although today is a much better day.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every time Sly goes in for dental work, I figuratively hold my breath until I know that he came through yet another procedure. I called Chester my "Miracle Boy" with all that he had endured....until the day that he ran out of miracles.

Once gain, Sparky & Chip say "way to go, Sly........you're a real trooper". (Their Mom breathes a sigh of relief)

You know how much yours, and the boys support means to us. The days he goes in are pure hell for me. I don't sleep the night before, can't concentrate during the day and always have a stress headache. Only when I know he's home safe and sound and appears to be doing well, I can let myself relax.

I know I don't have to relate those feeling to you. I KNOW you already know exactly how it feels, going through what you did with Chester. I know one day Sly's willpower and miracles will run out, but that day is not today. Today he's running, playing with his bell ball, popcorning his pigloo and eating. LOTS of eating. His pellets are his best friend today.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Its due to your love, care and attention. They know. Everyone told me mooshy and now bella would be depressed not having a buddy. Nope. Lots of Bella coming over to play with me excited, popcorning, squeaking. I'm literally 2 " from her pen on the couch at her level. In fact she is so tied to me that when I happen to be gone a long time, when I come back, she's hardly touched anything. Even her fav veggies. Clean pen like how I left it. Then they see me back on my spot on the couch and it's back to eating and playing with me with the games we have. I worry if I need to be away for a day. She shuts down. I can't have a second one. I'm on low income disability trying hard not to go into debt. I really believe mooshy died because she was left without me for a few days, in addition to the heat.

I totally understand. You were Mooshy's, and now Bella's, world. I have to believe that Mooshy was sad when you had to go away, yes. But she knew you would come back. You always did, right? Couple that with the heat and not good enough care, and sadly I think it was too much for her. Mooshy had hope. I truly hope you know that. You'd always come back to her. Please don't put her loss on yourself.

Bella now is also always used to having you around. When you're not there, it's not fun. She has nothing to do and no one to talk to or play with. You are her world, and she loves you. I hope that there are steps you can take to have someone with her, if you have to be away again. I think she'd like that.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update for Sly:

3 days after surgery. I'm pretty sure Sly had lost a little weight in the few days prior to surgery, but after this mornings weigh in he has lost almost 50 grams since last Sunday. His appetite SEEMS good, he's eating his vegetables but not all of them ( he rarely does ) and he's not eating whole baby carrots. I've had to cut them into strips, and he's still not finishing them. He IS in his pellets a fair bit, but difficult to tell how many he eats in one sitting.

When he gets his afternoon "cookie" (Oxbow joint support tabs crushed into Critical Care with a few drops of liquid vitamin C) he gobbles it down completely.

I expected him to lose weight, but I hate that he lost that much. He's just barely over 1200 grams right now. Hopefully his ability to eat and appetite increase over the coming week.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he were mine, I would be supplementing with Critical Care, possibly twice a day. That was the only way I could keep weight on Chester.

If he is eating pellets, then I would mix oats (plain dry rolled oats) with his pellets. That is known to help to put weight on. You are now in the phase of doing anything you can to put/keep weight on him and that includes higher calorie intake than most vegetables provide.

Chester didn't know that he was a herbivore and loved people food....and we permitted him to have it given the circumstances. He liked scrambled eggs, hamburger w/o cheese, and pizza.....anything to get more food into him. You may not wish to go that route, but I think you get the idea.

I USED to give him Critical Care twice a day after his surgeries..... and he lost interest in it. He LOVES it mixed with the joint support tablets, but if it doesn't taste the same he just kind of turns his nose up at it. He's such a little ham.

A couple of surgeries ago, he was worse off than usual and had to actually be force fed for a few days. He really didn't like that excercise at all. He is eating more than he was Friday, which is a bonus. I know he'll be all right, I just really hate it when he loses weight. He's old and he already feels so bony, even though I know that 1200 grams is still a good weight.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad Sly is doing as well as he is, considering his condition. You've gone above and beyond to care for your boy, and I know he loves you for it. As for his feeling bony, remember that senior animals, like people, lose muscle mass and will feel bonier even at a good weight.

I know. He was always a big boy, thick and muscular. Watching him turn into a little old man over the last 18 months, well, it's just heartbreaking. [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] is right, their lives are far, far too short for the people who love them dearly.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly's update:

The little bear cub has now endured his 11th molar planing. I honestly believe this is both a testament to what a tough little nut he really is, and what a fantastic vet he has.

Sly really did not gain any weight after the last surgery. He fell to 1180 grams in the 3 days post surgery in June, and got back up just over 1200. He remained there until this past week, where he went back down to 1180.

He's home now, the same little drunken sailor that he usually is. He hasn't eaten a lot, but he's been offered his favourites and he's gladly snapped them out of the offering fingers and gobbled what he's been given. No real interest in hay or pellets, but he's had some critical care and some greens and fruit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.