Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Update:

Sly has had quite a bit of trouble eating post surgery this time around. For the first time since all of this started, we've actually had to force feed him Critical Care. Before he would eat it willingly from the syringe or from a bowl, and this time he had to be held while it was syringed into the back of his mouth where he had to chew. He showed plenty of interest in food, but when it came down to actually eating it, he would try, and then open his mouth wide several times as if he was choking, and then walk away. I have the feeling that he may have had an injury inside his mouth, either due to the overgrown molars or perhaps being nicked during surgery.

Either way, after weigh ins this week, Sly has lost 72 grams since last Sunday. Thankfully, this morning his appetite and ability to eat seem to be returning. For the first time post surgery, he has eaten his entire slice of red pepper, albeit in two sittings. He's also had a pair of baby carrots, surprisingly. He's been in his pellets and also in his hay. I don't feel he's out of the woods yet, but he is much improved over the last couple of days.

For anyone reading these updates and may be going through a similar situation with their pig, I cannot stress enough the importance of making sure your pig gets enough to eat. Even with regular force feedings, Sly still lost more weight than I am comfortable with.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

I now will say that in my experience, Chester never bounced back as quickly as Sly has done in the past! When his mouth & throat were nicked and then cauterized following a procedure, he couldn't eat on his own for a week.

As a reminder, get a 30gm syringe for the Critical Care or Critical Care mixed with baby food. (They are often called "small animal feeding syringes" in pet stores and may not be in the rodent section) A syringe that size is large enough to be able to mix the CC and pour it into the syringe while it is still in a liquid state. It will become more firm quickly and can be extruded from the syringe. When you syringe-feed him, you know exactly how much he is eating vs. letting him eat it off a plate.

It is not uncommon for him to recover more slowly with each procedure. As we have discussed, his little body takes a "hit" with each procedure and the anesthesia. It sounds that given his age and the circumstances, he is doing quite well. Chip, Sparky & I send our love and best wishes!

3. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

@spy9doc, love and best wishes from you and the boys are greatly appreciated, more than you could possibly know.

I actually went back to the vets first thing Thursday morning, and got a Monoject 412 curved tip syringe. I cut some of the end off, with plenty of tip left that I could get it back to his molars. It did the trick beautifully.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly he bounces back, so this time was a bit of a surprise but due to our conversations and other threads that I've read, I knew what was going on. 24 hours after the surgery he was till pretty unsteady, but that abated as well the more food and water we got into him.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    522 Rec'd/394 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Sending love to Sly. Bella and I are praying for him.

6. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Sending love to Sly. Bella and I are praying for him.
    Thank you, Artista. It means so very much to us.

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

We are now almost two weeks post surgery.

Sly had another weigh in yesterday morning, and although I knew he had been eating much, much better, I was surprised at the result.

He went from 1168 grams last Sunday, to 1215 grams yesterday morning. He'd gained 47 grams, and I think that's the biggest (or definitely one of) weight gains he's had in a long, long time. His incisors still have quite an angle to them, but I know he's eating far better, and seems to be more active and happier. Indeed, as I was tidying up his pen tonight, he decided to come and play with me. Licking my toes, climbing up onto my leg to see if I had a treat, walking around behind me and head butting me, things like that.

He's now 6 years and 3 months old. Every day with him is such a gift.

9. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    522 Rec'd/394 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    We are now almost two weeks post surgery.

Sly had another weigh in yesterday morning, and although I knew he had been eating much, much better, I was surprised at the result.

He went from 1168 grams last Sunday, to 1215 grams yesterday morning. He'd gained 47 grams, and I think that's the biggest (or definitely one of) weight gains he's had in a long, long time. His incisors still have quite an angle to them, but I know he's eating far better, and seems to be more active and happier. Indeed, as I was tidying up his pen tonight, he decided to come and play with me. Licking my toes, climbing up onto my leg to see if I had a treat, walking around behind me and head butting me, things like that.

He's now 6 years and 3 months old. Every day with him is such a gift.
    Oh yay! So happy he's doing well!

11. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Oh yay! So happy he's doing well!
    Thank you, Artista! We're pretty happy with how he's doing, too. Some days you'd never know how old he is.

13. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update:

Sly had his 4 week checkup post surgery today.

After the scary drop in weight following surgery, Sly has done nothing but gain. In fact, he has gone from 1168 grams post surgery, to today's weigh in at the vets where he tipped the scale at 1285! He hasn't been at this weight since April of last year.

The weight gain was so noticeable that when Dr Ker took him out of the carrier, he said "Oooof! Somebody's gained some weight!" The change was noticeable to him as soon as he picked him up and he hasn't seen him for a month.

Also good news, his teeth are in good shape and do not yet need another planing. He's also doing very well on the metacam. He certainly seems like a younger pig these days!

15. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that Sly's on the up and up!

17. "Thank you, FailedFoster, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Sly had his checkup yesterday, and he goes for another planing tomorrow morning.

His weight has been good, other than that plummet Monday after trying him on the Sherwood pellets. His vet is very happy with his weight, and also said that whatever we're doing is helping his teeth tremendously.

They really aren't overgrown much yet, very little. But his vet wants to do them now, for two reasons:

He will be under the anesthetic a much shorter time than normal, because it's going to be an easier procedure.

By the time they DO need to be done again, his vet will be away at a veterinarians conference for two weeks and will be unavailable to do it. He's not comfortable leaving Sly til he gets back, in case it becomes an emergency and he isn't available to help.

So, the little man goes in again, this time for surgery number 8. Bless his little piggie soul, he's such a tough little nut.

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Sly is home now after surgery.

His vet said that his teeth were more badly overgrown than initially thought. His lower front molars are also loose again, and his opinion is that it's almost certainly due to old age.

Other than that, the little trooper is doing well. His weight was up 15 grams from his checkup two days ago, which surprised him to see. His weight IS good, he was at 1277 grams today at the office.

He's resting comfortably at home now, eating a little of whatever treats he's given, and lying in his house staring out at the world, if not a little bleary eyed.

Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I'm glad to hear Sly is doing well after surgery!

21. "Thank you, FailedFoster, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

Sparky & Chip say "way to go, old man"! We want to be like you when we grow up......minus the teeth issues. ;-)

23. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

I very much hope they make it that far, and beyond @spy9doc. They're in the best of care at your house!

Sly was a little bull in his carrier when we were trying to leave the vets....throwing around a cucumber slice, then using it as a pillow. You could see the carrier shake in my hands as he was throwing himself around. His vet and the vet techs were just howling.

Thanks
    Thanks
    522 Rec'd/394 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

I very much hope they make it that far, and beyond @spy9doc. They're in the best of care at your house!

Sly was a little bull in his carrier when we were trying to leave the vets....throwing around a cucumber slice, then using it as a pillow. You could see the carrier shake in my hands as he was throwing himself around. His vet and the vet techs were just howling.
    Yay! So happy for sly, from bella and i. ❤

26. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Yay! So happy for sly, from bella and i. ❤
    Thank you ladies, your support is always very much appreciated ! :)

28. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Here is Sly, being the crazy little bugger he was yesterday. Excuse the mess, he'd soiled his regular fleece in the carrier and the vet put a clean towel in, and he promptly soiled that too.

I've never seen him do something like this before. He just flopped on the cucumber like a pillow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-03-16 15.42.17.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	84338

Thanks
    Thanks
    522 Rec'd/394 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Here is Sly, being the crazy little bugger he was yesterday. Excuse the mess, he'd soiled his regular fleece in the carrier and the vet put a clean towel in, and he promptly soiled that too.

I've never seen him do something like this before. He just flopped on the cucumber like a pillow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-03-16 15.42.17.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	84338
    Poor cute little guy is pooped but what a trooper! Here's Bella's pooped pose...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180227_221426.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	84343

Thanks
    Thanks
    428 Rec'd/385 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Poor cute little guy is pooped but what a trooper! Here's Bella's pooped pose...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180227_221426.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	84343
    Hahaha oh she is just precious! That's adorable!

User Tag List