Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Update:

Sly has had quite a bit of trouble eating post surgery this time around. For the first time since all of this started, we've actually had to force feed him Critical Care. Before he would eat it willingly from the syringe or from a bowl, and this time he had to be held while it was syringed into the back of his mouth where he had to chew. He showed plenty of interest in food, but when it came down to actually eating it, he would try, and then open his mouth wide several times as if he was choking, and then walk away. I have the feeling that he may have had an injury inside his mouth, either due to the overgrown molars or perhaps being nicked during surgery.

Either way, after weigh ins this week, Sly has lost 72 grams since last Sunday. Thankfully, this morning his appetite and ability to eat seem to be returning. For the first time post surgery, he has eaten his entire slice of red pepper, albeit in two sittings. He's also had a pair of baby carrots, surprisingly. He's been in his pellets and also in his hay. I don't feel he's out of the woods yet, but he is much improved over the last couple of days.

For anyone reading these updates and may be going through a similar situation with their pig, I cannot stress enough the importance of making sure your pig gets enough to eat. Even with regular force feedings, Sly still lost more weight than I am comfortable with.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,396 Rec'd/1,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

I now will say that in my experience, Chester never bounced back as quickly as Sly has done in the past! When his mouth & throat were nicked and then cauterized following a procedure, he couldn't eat on his own for a week.

As a reminder, get a 30gm syringe for the Critical Care or Critical Care mixed with baby food. (They are often called "small animal feeding syringes" in pet stores and may not be in the rodent section) A syringe that size is large enough to be able to mix the CC and pour it into the syringe while it is still in a liquid state. It will become more firm quickly and can be extruded from the syringe. When you syringe-feed him, you know exactly how much he is eating vs. letting him eat it off a plate.

It is not uncommon for him to recover more slowly with each procedure. As we have discussed, his little body takes a "hit" with each procedure and the anesthesia. It sounds that given his age and the circumstances, he is doing quite well. Chip, Sparky & I send our love and best wishes!

3. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

@spy9doc, love and best wishes from you and the boys are greatly appreciated, more than you could possibly know.

I actually went back to the vets first thing Thursday morning, and got a Monoject 412 curved tip syringe. I cut some of the end off, with plenty of tip left that I could get it back to his molars. It did the trick beautifully.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly he bounces back, so this time was a bit of a surprise but due to our conversations and other threads that I've read, I knew what was going on. 24 hours after the surgery he was till pretty unsteady, but that abated as well the more food and water we got into him.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/372 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

Sending love to Sly. Bella and I are praying for him.

6. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Sending love to Sly. Bella and I are praying for him.
    Thank you, Artista. It means so very much to us.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

We are now almost two weeks post surgery.

Sly had another weigh in yesterday morning, and although I knew he had been eating much, much better, I was surprised at the result.

He went from 1168 grams last Sunday, to 1215 grams yesterday morning. He'd gained 47 grams, and I think that's the biggest (or definitely one of) weight gains he's had in a long, long time. His incisors still have quite an angle to them, but I know he's eating far better, and seems to be more active and happier. Indeed, as I was tidying up his pen tonight, he decided to come and play with me. Licking my toes, climbing up onto my leg to see if I had a treat, walking around behind me and head butting me, things like that.

He's now 6 years and 3 months old. Every day with him is such a gift.

9. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/372 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    We are now almost two weeks post surgery.

Sly had another weigh in yesterday morning, and although I knew he had been eating much, much better, I was surprised at the result.

He went from 1168 grams last Sunday, to 1215 grams yesterday morning. He'd gained 47 grams, and I think that's the biggest (or definitely one of) weight gains he's had in a long, long time. His incisors still have quite an angle to them, but I know he's eating far better, and seems to be more active and happier. Indeed, as I was tidying up his pen tonight, he decided to come and play with me. Licking my toes, climbing up onto my leg to see if I had a treat, walking around behind me and head butting me, things like that.

He's now 6 years and 3 months old. Every day with him is such a gift.
    Oh yay! So happy he's doing well!

11. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Oh yay! So happy he's doing well!
    Thank you, Artista! We're pretty happy with how he's doing, too. Some days you'd never know how old he is.

13. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List