Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

The little bear cub has returned home after a rather lengthy stay at the vets. Our vet was concerned because it didn't appear to him that Sly was eating, but of course Sly being Sly, he was just sneaking it when he wasn't being watched.

He was hiding in his carrier with his back to the door. I sent him up with a bag of fresh green grass, a bowl of Oxbow pellets and a couple of cucumber slices for hydration, if he didn't feel like drinking.

When I got there to pick him up, his doctor realized that there was a good dent in the pellets, and the cucumber was gone and so was most of the grass. Sly was just giving them the business.

He's home now, he did some laps around the cage and his pen, went and trolled the baby pigs, and is now flopped in his pigloo lying down staring out at the world with squinty eyes. King of the castle.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,473 Rec'd/1,209 Posts
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1090 Post(s)

What a character he must be! Happy to hear that both Papa and son are doing fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

He really is. As wobbly as he must be from the anesthetic, he was still climbing the bars when I came home tonight. He's doing surprisingly well, and my tension headache is gone as well. :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update:

We are now just over 3 weeks post surgery. This was Sly's 3rd planing since Christmas. His weight stayed virtually unchanged for the last two weeks, until today. He was at 1220 grams three Sundays in a row, but this morning he has gone up to 1243 grams.

He seems to be eating well, likes to troll the "kids" at the cage bars, plays with his toys (yes, he's one of those pigs that will play with toys) and in general is doing very well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,473 Rec'd/1,209 Posts
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1090 Post(s)

Sparky & Chip say "way to go, Sly"! What kind of toys does he play with? I've never had any luck with toys, but I think that if I could find the right item(s), Chip might play with them. He is so high energy that he needs something/someone who will play with him and siphon off some of that excess energy. Sparky is content being the "couch-potato" big brother.

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Sly likes simple things, really. He has a couple of cat toys (just plastic balls with a bell inside) that he either rolls around with his nose and follows, or he picks them up in his teeth and will shake them to hear the bell ring.

He loves toilet paper tubes, he'll occasionally just chew them but mostly rolls them with his nose and follows them around, or pick them up and toss them over his head.

And last but not least, his plastic bowl. He'll also push that around with his nose, and either flip it on its side to roll it around, or he'll simply flip it upside down and forget about it. As soon as I flip it right side up again, off he goes to pushing or flipping it again.

He has a heavy ceramic bowl with his pellets in it, and he'll more often than not drag it with his teeth over to where his pigloo is and flip the pigloo on top of the bowl so he can "eat in".

He also has a plush cat bed, that he likes to hide under from time to time and walk around with overtop of him like a turtle. The baby pigs seem to like to do that, too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update:

4 weeks now post surgery. Sly is still generally eating well on his own, even though he lost 15 grams this particular weigh in. Putting that in perspective, Scooter gained a whopping 2 grams and Punkin ALSO lost 15 grams this time around so not really all that distressing.

I've recently noticed something odd about the wear in his incisors, however. His top incisors are beginning to wear at an angle again (or maybe never really straightened fully, that's also a possibility) but the odd thing is that the bottom incisors are wearing in a V shape. It almost seems like the point of the top incisor is wearing directly down the middle of the bottom teeth.

Has anyone seen this before, or know what it may indicate? I'm wondering if perhaps all this malocclusion is misaligning his jaw, perhaps? Any input would be appreciated. His next checkup is Sept 6, just a week away.

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Update:

I've recently noticed something odd about the wear in his incisors, however. His top incisors are beginning to wear at an angle again (or maybe never really straightened fully, that's also a possibility) but the odd thing is that the bottom incisors are wearing in a V shape. It almost seems like the point of the top incisor is wearing directly down the middle of the bottom teeth.

Has anyone seen this before, or know what it may indicate? I'm wondering if perhaps all this malocclusion is misaligning his jaw, perhaps? Any input would be appreciated. His next checkup is Sept 6, just a week away.
    I'm glad Sly is doing well! That sounds a lot like what Ferb has, his bottom incisors keep growing in a V, and his top incisors are wearing down at an angle on the backs but not the fronts. Also his right bottom incisor is thicker than the others, it's kind of freakish looking.

The last vet visit for a molar trim the vet told me Ferb's incisors probably won't ever grow correctly again (it wasn't his regular vet though, it was one of the others in that exotics practice).

Ferb's molars are barely getting points (luckily I caught it right away when it started) but his incisors keep growing all wonky. They have done head/teeth x-rays, no visible underlying cause. Sigh.

9. "Thank you, Rywen, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Thank you for the information. This is a new development, and I think it's due to the recurring malocclusion. His incisors have angled before, but not worn in this fashion. Kinda at a loss as to what this might mean.

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update:

Sly had a checkup this morning, unfortunately the frequency of molar planings appears to be increasing. I can't say this is a surprise, I was warned that this would likely happen but I was just so hopeful for Sly that he would have to endure as little of this as possible.

The good news is that he HAS gained some weight (His vet was quite pleased by that development this morning) but, the downside is that we are only 6 weeks past his last surgery, and he is scheduled for another next Thursday morning. That makes it 7 weeks past the last surgery. The previous was 8 weeks.

The other good news is that Sly was pissed about having his teeth checked. Usually he just sits there like a good, mellow pig but it appears he's still got some fight in him!

Fingers crossed for the little bear as he endures yet another indignity.

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Awww poor little Sly, he has certainly been put through the mill. You take such excellent care of your piggies, it's so unfair these things have to happen to great owners with well cared for pigs. Fingers and toes crossed the little fella comes through his next round of planings with flying colors ❤️

13. "Thank you, lisa325, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Thank you, Lisa. I don't even care about the money, I just wish Sly didn't have to suffer through it. He's such a sweet boy, he really doesn't deserve it. Not that any of them do, of course.

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Hello all, update on Mr Sly, for anyone who has been following his journey.

Molar planing number 4 scheduled for today, he was dropped off at the vets office at 8 a.m. this morning. I sat him on my chest last night for a slice of cucumber and some Dad time, and I could hear his teeth clacking together, I'm assuming the overgrown parts in the back.

He stood at the gate to his carrier, staring at me as they carried him away into the back. He knows how to get me, every single time.

I was told to call at 3 p.m. to check on his progress. Will make another update when he returns home.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are rooting for Sly and for you and are all looking forwards to good news this evening.

17. "Thank you, wigglemish, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Thank you, @wigglemish. Sly thanks you too :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update for Sly:

He is home now, a fair bit groggier than he has been after past molar trims. He's walking, stumbling of course like a drunken sailor, and he IS eating. He went to his pellet bowl and munched one, then stood there kind of zoned out for a bit. I mixed up some Critical Care, and he knows the sound of that well. He ran out and stood at the bars waiting for it, and is presently stuffing his face with it. The fact that he can eat at all makes me very happy.

Will update later tonight and tomorrow with some further progress.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

*sets off streamers and balloons and confetti cannons* Good job, Sly and Sly's vet and GPP!!

21. "Thank you, wigglemish, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    860 Rec'd/693 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

It's always good to see a pig looking forward to feeding. Best of luck, Sly!

23. "Thank you, ThePigAlchemist, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    It's always good to see a pig looking forward to feeding. Best of luck, Sly!
    He's eaten all of the Critical Care I gave him. Keeping observations to see if he goes in his hay or his pellets, but I will likely treat him to a carrot a little later this evening, and he'll get more Critical Care just to be sure.

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

So, 3 1/2 hours after bringing him home, Sly has:

Eaten a generous helping of critical care.
    Eaten a slice of apple.
    Is drinking plenty of water.
    Eating whatever hay is in his corner.
    Has also been into his pellet bowl.

He has been out trolling the baby pigs at the fence and is currently trucking around his pen (maybe stumbling a bit) but is FAR more active than just a few hours ago. Overall I'm VERY pleased with his progress post-surgery.

I'm sure that will fade somewhat tomorrow when some of the pain medicine and anesthetic wear off, I'm expecting that. He does have 3 days of metacam to help with pain management.

User Tag List