Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Update:

Sly seems virtually back to normal. Again climbing the bars this morning for his treat, but a new development. His cage was trashed. He had hay EVERYWHERE, so I'm sure he was into it and eating it. He even had all of the hay pulled out of the cardboard tube which he's NEVER done, and his pellet bowl had a big empty spot in it. Seems to me he was eating most of the night. His water consumption has also returned almost to normal levels, still drinking more than normal but I know his mouth likely hurts so not worried about it. Nothing even remotely resembling last weeks binge drinking.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update:

After Saturday mornings' post, things took a bit of a dive. Sly stopped eating. He had his morning slice of pepper and after that, very little. Didn't touch his afternoon vegetables, couldn't eat a baby carrot (he kept opening his mouth wide again as if he was choking)

I gave him a full syringe of critical care with his cookie, then one more at bedtime. He ate them both very slowly.

Not sure what happened but 6am Sunday morning and Sly was in his pellet bowl, and although a bit slower, he has eaten everything he has been given since Sunday morning.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

A couple of possibilities come to mind: 1) A cavy's mouth is a very small space in which to work. It's entirely possible that the Vet nicked his already tender tongue or elsewhere in his mouth, and 2) The tooth spur/spike had been there for a while and naturally irritated his tongue. Perhaps he was so eager to eat everything in sight that he irritated the not-yet-healed area? Don't be surprised if you have to continue to feed him Critical Care for several days.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Well, it WAS the 2nd day after surgery, so all of the anesthesia was likely out of his body by then. He got his last dose of metacam this morning. What was alarming wasn't the not eating, it was the abrupt stop that scared me. Eating fine all morning until noon and then nothing. The funny part was he was interested, it just seemed like he couldn't eat. He was even very slow eating the critical care.

Now we are back to normal. I even weighed him yesterday, expecting a big loss due to his inability to eat well, even though I was supplementing him with critical care. Then add the surgery to that and I expected a loss. He actually gained 2 grams, which I know is nothing. The fact that his weight remained unchanged through all of that for a week amazed me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

We are now one week post surgery. Sly spent a fair bit of time yesterday eating hay, whether it was the bluegrass that spy9doc so kindly sent me, some alfalfa hay and he especially seemed to rediscover his western timothy hay. Water consumption is still up, but I'm sure his little mouth is still sore so that isn't too surprising.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Sly had his weigh in this morning. After two weeks of a very slight gain, he's lost 13 grams again. He's now down to 1192 grams. He seems to be eating regularly and his water consumption appears to be back down to normal, though I haven't seen him eating much hay again and he's still much slower at eating vegetables than the little ones are. I don't get it. Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop the downward slide?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop the downward slide?
    Not much to my knowledge. It's very difficult to get a senior cavy to gain weight. Does he currently have access to pellets 24/7? At this point, you may want him to eat just about anything that appeals to him and isn't harmful. You might also mix some oats (plain rolled oats) in with his pellets. Cavies typically like them and the extra calories and nutrition will be good for him.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Not much to my knowledge. It's very difficult to get a senior cavy to gain weight. Does he currently have access to pellets 24/7? At this point, you may want him to eat just about anything that appeals to him and isn't harmful. You might also mix some oats (plain rolled oats) in with his pellets. Cavies typically like them and the extra calories and nutrition will be good for him.
    Yes, he's always had 24/7 access to hay, pellets and fresh water. I would love it if he would gain weight, but at this point just stopping the loss would be a win. I'm guessing a bulk food store would be a good place to start for the oats?

I know it's difficult to get a senior cavy to gain weight, but I know it can be done. When Poopy was sick this time last year, he got down as far as 1035 grams and when he passed away I had him back up to 1200. At one point he was up as high as 1280, around the beginning of August. I just wish I could remember what I did to help that weight gain.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

I'm guessing a bulk food store would be a good place to start for the oats?
    Of course! However, almost any kind of plain rolled oats will do.......even Quaker. Don't buy quick-cooking oats, and I don't think I would use steel-cut oats either. If Sly really likes the oats, you may find him picking them out of the pellets! I believe that he's housed alone so leaving them out won't be a problem for the two younger boys.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Yes, The little grizzly is housed alone, so leaving the oats out won't be an issue. Thank you so much for the suggestion, I hope it will work for him. Do you think it'll help with his teeth? I'm thinking probably not but hoping for the best.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

No, they won't help with that. The only thing that might help is corn husks to provide some good fiber. Again, discard the outer darker green husks that carry pesticides and use the lighter inner tender ones. Tear them in strips and watch him eat them like spaghetti. You can also feed the silks.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

I'll try the corn husks again, he would barely touch them the first go round but that was before his surgery. I haven't tried them since. Even the little ones didn't care for them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

I'll try the corn husks again, he would barely touch them the first go round but that was before his surgery. I haven't tried them since. Even the little ones didn't care for them.
    I'm surprised.........never had a cavy who didn't like corn husks! Do you have access to any untainted fresh grass? The longer the blades of grass, the better. Just be careful when feeding fresh grass to not feed too much in the beginning or he will likely have loose stool.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Actually, yes. I leave my grass unsprayed and leave my side yard long for just that reason. I even make sure it's watered so they get good stuff!

Sly has always had a problem with sticky poops since he was just a wee fella so he doesn't get a lot of veggies, he's been cut waaaaaaaaay back.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update:

Sly's weight has hovered right around the 1200 gram mark for the last month following surgery. 1192 low, 1205 high. He had a checkup yesterday, and his vet says his teeth are getting long again but not enough to require planing at this point.

His vet also assured me that at 1200 grams, he is still a hefty pig and that I needn't worry about him being down that far from previously, as he is getting older.( Sly was over 1400 grams) I told him that I will be bringing Sly in for regular 4 week checkups as I do NOT want his teeth getting to the point that surgery is an immediate emergency like that last two. Our vet is fantastic, He only charged $10 for checking Sly's teeth yesterday!

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Update:

Sly had his checkup this morning, and is scheduled for surgery Friday morning. His teeth are not really bad yet, but the vet feels that a trim is necessary so that they don't become an emergency and cause him injury and pain. He's going away for a two week vacation and felt that it was better to do it sooner than later.

In the interim, Sly has been making small weight gains each week (He is up from 1192g post surgery, and as of Sunday was at 1230g. Nothing massive for sure, but posting steady gains each week is better than posting losses.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

Good to hear! Sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

I certainly hope so! The days he goes in for his molar planings are pure hell for me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

The days he goes in for his molar planings are pure hell for me.
    How well I remember those days with Chester. Sparky & Chip send wheeks of encouragement to both you and Sly!

Thanks
    Thanks
    427 Rec'd/384 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    How well I remember those days with Chester. Sparky & Chip send wheeks of encouragement to both you and Sly!
    I can never thank you enough for your continued help and support. Thank you to you, and Sparky and Chip. Give them ear skritches for me!

User Tag List