Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Yes, Sly's issue I believe started back in October, possibly even earlier. Wasn't caught until December. Shameful of me really, but it was caught and corrected. He turned 5 in November. He's still doing really well, he's out playing with his little brothers as we speak. It just pains me to know what's coming. The finances I don't even care about, I just want him to be well. Not for my wallet's sake, but his own happiness.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Just a very quick update about Sly. He had a checkup with his vet yesterday, after having to be rescheduled a couple of times, due to a snowstorm and the vet having an emergency. His weight is excellent, his mandible is great, his incisors are straight and his molars look fantastic. Dr Ker said to absolutely monitor him just to be on the safe side, but 3 months after his surgery everything appears to be fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    443 Rec'd/349 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

That's great news for the both of you! Hopefully everything holds up and that first trim will be the only dental procedure he needs.

4. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

It was definitely a relief to hear that everything was as it should be. I know he's getting old so knowing that whatever happened in the first place is likely corrected and he's going to be fine is tremendously relieving. His teeth did start angling again in the opposite direction a few weeks ago, which prompted this visit. His vet seems to think that he likely just had a sore or something that caused him some discomfort and made him chew on one side.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Well, here we are 2 months after Sly's last vet visit. He has been dropping weight (Only gained some for 3 or four weeks after his initial surgery in December)

I noticed that his teeth are angled again, and I wanted to give it some time because the last time his teeth angled in March they straightened themselves out again on their own. Now, he doesn't want to eat any hay but Alfalfa and his water consumption has risen, to the point that he will almost empty a 12 ounce water bottle in 48 hours. I've read that one of the reasons a pig will binge drink like that is to help alleviate mouth pain, so I began giving him some metacam that I had. .15ml in the mornings. His water consumption immediately went back to normal.

After weigh ins this morning he has dropped to 1196g. It's a long weekend here, so I will call his vet on Tuesday and schedule for his usual Thursday visit. Looks like molar planing number two is in the works.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

These are just updates now for anyone to read in the future in case they have similar problems with their pig.

Sly now has an appointment with his vet Thursday morning, details of what happens will follow.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Sly has gone to his vet this morning, and had to stay there. His molars had overgrown again, one to the point that it was actually a spike growing across his mouth and trapping his tongue down again.

He is having surgery this morning, and provided all goes well he should come home this afternoon.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,396 Rec'd/1,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

Ah......how well I know those hours of waiting. He may be a little sleepy and lethargic afterward and it may take a day or so for his appetite to return. Sparky & Chip send their best to Sly!

10. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Ah......how well I know those hours of waiting. He may be a little sleepy and lethargic afterward and it may take a day or so for his appetite to return. Sparky & Chip send their best to Sly!
    Thank you so much, your support means a great deal to us. As soon as I left the Vet's office, that nasty old tension headache returned.. and it won't go away until Sly is home safe. His vet is actually going away for the weekend, but he promised to have Sly looked after before he left. The look on his little face in his carrier when I left the office just breaks my heart.

Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/132 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

I feel so bad for you and little Sly :(, I know how much it breaks your heart to leave him. I hope all goes well, and Sly will be home safe and sound before you know it. Sending you both love and healing vibes <3.

13. "Thank you, lisa325, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

The little bear cub is home now. He's rather groggy and he wouldn't eat anything at the vet's office. After he came home I gave him some assorted vegetables and some alfalfa hay. He stumbled around like a little drunken sailor for a bit, ate some of the veggies and ate some of the hay. He had a drink or two but it seems to hurt his mouth, he opens his mouth wide almost like he's choking. All in all though he's doing fairly well. He's to get critical care if he's not eating, and he has a 4 day supply of metacam for the pain.

Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/132 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

So happy he is home and safe, although still a little out of it. Hopefully by tomorrow he will be a lot brighter and eating well for you :).

16. "Thank you, lisa325, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lisa325 View Post
    So happy he is home and safe, although still a little out of it. Hopefully by tomorrow he will be a lot brighter and eating well for you :).
    He's well on the way already. He's eaten almost all of his vegetables, he's had some hay and he had a full 12cc of critical care. He's been exploring but he's still kind of wobbly. He's eaten more than I thought he would and, I never thought I'd say this but, he's leaving nice big normal poops behind. That's not been the case for the last week or so.

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I hope Sly feels better soon and makes a full recovery : )

19. "Thank you, RodneyLuv30, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/132 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

Good boy, Sly <3 Keep up the good eating and let those nice big poops continue ;)

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyLuv30 View Post
    I hope Sly feels better soon and makes a full recovery : )
    Thank you Rodney, we appreciate your well wishes :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lisa325 View Post
    Good boy, Sly <3 Keep up the good eating and let those nice big poops continue ;)
    He's enjoying himself a baby carrot right now. Gingerly, slowly, but he IS eating it. :) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-25 18.07.17.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	82449

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,396 Rec'd/1,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

As I said, it's going to take a couple of days for him to recover. The fact that he had a spike digging into his tongue is not uncommon, but that tender tongue needs a bit of time to recover. Happy that he's home and interested in food again! If you are going to give him carrots, I would cut them in slivers for the first couple of days.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    As I said, it's going to take a couple of days for him to recover. The fact that he had a spike digging into his tongue is not uncommon, but that tender tongue needs a bit of time to recover. Happy that he's home and interested in food again! If you are going to give him carrots, I would cut them in slivers for the first couple of days.
    You're absolutely right about slicing the carrots, I was going to do exactly that and I got sidetracked. He's actually eaten quite a bit now, more than I thought he would. Since he got home he's had hay, most of a bowl of vegetables, the carrot, a thin slice of cucumber and two full 12cc syringes of critical care, and some pellets. He's gone to bed now with his pigloo parked on top of his pellet bowl. I know that's probably too much vegetables, but his vet said for a few days just get him to eat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Update:

Sly ate most of a bowl of vegetables overnight, had a good healthy dose of pellets and was in his hay pile as well. He was actually climbing the bars this morning when I got up, waiting for a morning treat. His appetite seems very healthy today, He's eaten cucumber slice, most of a baby carrot, a large slice of red pepper, and more pellets and hay.

He still appears to be a bit groggy perhaps, kind of waddling and dragging his back legs just a bit, almost lazily. All in all I'm very pleased with his progress so far.

User Tag List