Thanks
    Thanks
    1,396 Rec'd/1,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

It sounds as though Sly is almost back to normal? Way to go, little buddy! Wheeks and prayers from Chip & Sparky for continued health for your herd. Happy holidays!

2. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    It sounds as though Sly is almost back to normal? Way to go, little buddy! Wheeks and prayers from Chip & Sparky for continued health for your herd. Happy holidays!
    And a VERY Happy Holidays to you, and thank you and Chip and Sparky for all your support! Sly is doing remarkably well, and I continue to see improvement in everything he does. Didn't really realize how bad it had gotten until he's doing much better and I realize all of a sudden how much was missing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    443 Rec'd/349 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

That's great to hear that he has bounced back and is pain free!

5. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    That's great to hear that he has bounced back and is pain free!
    Yes, Sally he is doing extremely well. And I also want to thank you for replying to this thread. Your information on what to expect from the vet and the costs associated with that really helped prepare for what was coming and everything went off without a hitch. I also want to send you a big thank you for your help in this. As I said, were it not for the great people of this forum I wouldn't have known what to look for and most likely would have lost him to a slow, painful and needless death. I don't need any Christmas gifts, I got mine Thursday. :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

So, tonight I was checking Sly's teeth, not because I suspected a problem but just because I'm nervous. I didn't want to mess with him much because he just had his surgery Thursday afternoon. I picked him up and sat him on the edge of the bed and it seems his front incisors are angled again! I'm just curious if that can happen in only 5 days or is it more likely that the vet didn't do his front teeth? Now I'm worried even more because if that happened in such a short period of time, what else might be going on?

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,738 Rec'd/5,327 Posts
    Mentioned
    1931 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

The vet may not have trimmed his front teeth. I'd watch him carefully and see if they're straightening out. They should, but if they don't, the vet can clip them to even them up.

9. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

I will definitely do that. Is there a reason the vet wouldn't have trimmed them?

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

So just out of curiosity for anyone else whose pig has gone through this procedure.... It's been 10 days since Sly had his procedure. I weighed him Christmas morning, 3 days after the surgery and he had of course lost some weight (20 grams from the previous Sunday). I understand that's to be expected. He seems to be eating more and is also eating better (meaning he seems to be having less trouble and can eat quicker) and yet when I weighed him this morning he has again dropped 13 grams. Is this weight loss typical for awhile after this procedure or should I be seeing improvement in his weight already? I've not gone through this and since he is a senior this is definitely a concern. He is still just over 1300 grams.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,738 Rec'd/5,327 Posts
    Mentioned
    1931 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

Thirteen grams is roughly the weight of two teaspoons of water. If he had peed before you weighed him the last time, but not this time, that could account for the discrepancy.

From Guinea Lynx:

A good rule of thumb for an adult guinea pig is:

• One ounce weight fluctuation is OK.
    • Two ounces - Go on alert.
    • Three ounces - Extreme red alert.
    • Four ounces - Get the pig to a vet.
    An ounce is about 28 grams.

13. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Good to know. My only concern is that even after the surgery, his weight is still trending downward. Overall he's lost a hundred grams now since the end of October, and I had hoped that this would at the very least stabilize, if not go up slightly every week. I understand that it's hard for an adult pig to gain weight, but losing it to me isn't acceptable either. 13 grams doesn't seem like much, and it isn't, but added up about the same loss week after week it amounts to something. So all in all he's lost four ounces in 2 months. I will continue to monitor him, of course. But the steady weight loss bothers me, small amount or not.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Well, here's hoping this should be the last update for Sly on this issue. He's eating and drinking normally now. He seems to have picked up his activity level a fair bit as well. His last four weigh ins, his weight has remained virtually unchanged, so I know he's eating enough to sustain himself now. He's going to go back to his vet in a couple of weeks for a checkup, but i'm not really expecting any more issues. Here's to hoping! One thing that makes me a little sad though, is that he doesn't make any noises any more. No wheeks, no happy noises. Just a few rumbles here and there and teeth chattering. Nothing else. Poopy did the same thing when he got older, so I have no idea what the reason could be other than just age. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,738 Rec'd/5,327 Posts
    Mentioned
    1931 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

Mine have gotten quieter as they've gotten older, so maybe age does play a role.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with being spoiled too lol. They all used to wheek like crazy when asked if they want their yum yums (vegetables) but now they have their normal routine and know when they're coming so they slowly stop "singing for their supper" so to speak. Poopy still made his happy noises when he walked around (a low pitched "bdup bdup bdup") but didn't wheek at all for the last couple of years and Sly hasn't wheeked since around the time Poopy passed away. Sly has recovered just fine, but the lack of happy piggy noises just saddens me. I love hearing them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

I just wanted to let you know, bpatters. It's been about 7 weeks now since Sly's surgery, and his incisors have indeed straightened themselves out, which is a huge relief. His weight also stayed virtually unchanged for a few weeks, and the last few weeks he has actually made some gains. He's back up to almost 1340 grams. He has also started "talking" again. I've gotten a few rusty wheeks out of him and he runs around at vegetable time making happy piggy noises. Slowly but surely, he's turning back into the old Sly we knew again. He gets along extremely well with the little fellas, who are now just over four months old.

19. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,738 Rec'd/5,327 Posts
    Mentioned
    1931 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

Glad to hear it!

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

He's doing so good, and I owe it all to the people of this forum. Can never thank you, bpatters, or anyone else enough. My pigs mean the world to me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I'm so glad to hear he's doing so well!

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Thank you, and Sly thanks you too! He's pretty much his old self again, but he is getting old too. He's a senior, so slowing down is expected. But I can't believe the turnaround from before the surgery to now!

Thanks
    Thanks
    316 Rec'd/287 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Well, Sly has been losing weight again for the last two weeks. He's lost an ounce in the last 15 days so I picked him up this morning to check his teeth, and they are starting to angle in the other direction, the opposite from last time. I fear he is going to need dental work on a regular basis now and I know that this may signal the beginning of the end for my other precious boy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    443 Rec'd/349 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

Unfortunately, dental issue don't seem to be an easy fix, almost every case I have seen requires regular trims for the rest of their lives.

It's a sad situation to be in, it's financially draining but some pigs can still have a good quality of life with regular dental work.

My sow Gretchen was 5.5 years old when her dental issues started and she lasted for 6 months with scheduled molar trims every 6ish weeks.

User Tag List