Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    Oh no! Poor little guy. Best wishes to you guys. I hope he can pull through this.

Hopefully the baytril doesn't bother him too much. We recently used doxycycline with a lot of success. It took care of 4 URI's and was well tolerated by everyone. But if the oral antibiotics start taking their toll on him, possibly ask your vet about nebulized antibiotics. Many years ago I had pneumonia successfully treated with one of my pigs. I believe gentamicin was used.

Regardless, I'm sending thoughts your and Sly's way! You as well @Artista best wishes for you and little Bella, I'm hoping you recover well and that you can get some answers for your girl.
    We had Pooper on Baytril once, and it hit him pretty hard. Sly's appetite is diminished, but this morning he ate almost all of his red pepper slice, some Critical Care and some lettuce. He was out waiting this morning, but not doing his usual dancing at the door for his treats as usual. I totally understand, poor little nut.

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update:

I don't know where this little pig finds the will, or the strength.

The crackling is his lungs is gone, or so quiet now I can't hear it with his little mouth next to my ear. He's lethargic, but he comes out, eats in binges and then goes back to bed.

Tonight, he was out either lying in the pen in his box, or trolling the little fellas for almost 2 hours. He ate two helpings of Critical Care, and an apple slice.

It's obvious that he's still a sick little pig, but the difference between yesterday morning and tonight is profound. He's not out of the woods yet, but he's even got enough strength to walk normally.

If I cross my fingers any harder I'm pretty sure I'm going to break them.

Sly says thank you for everyone's support :D

3. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

Good news, I hope he keeps it up! Sly is such a fighter.

5. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    Good news, I hope he keeps it up! Sly is such a fighter.
    He boggles my mind, @sallyvh . He really does. He just loves life.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    He boggles my mind, @sallyvh . He really does. He just loves life.
    And we love and root for the little trooper.

8. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Sly was doing very well, even this morning.

He had plenty to eat this morning, along with some critical care, a slice of cucumber and his red pepper. He was into both his hay, and his pellets.

This afternoon,however, he is very lethargic. He just got his bowl of veggies, and although he seemed interested he has eaten none. I picked him up and he is warm, and the wheezing and crackling have returned. He was also stumbling a bit while walking.

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Sly is struggling for every breath he takes.

We have an appointment for 230.

Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Sly is struggling for every breath he takes.

We have an appointment for 230.
    Praying hard. Much love and strength to you both.

12. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Sly is back at home now. We have Theophylline to try and aid his breathing, but there is very little left that can be done for him. At this point, it's basically hope for the best.

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

Hopefully it helps and that the antibiotics really kick in and do their thing.

My thoughts are with you guys, I'm hoping the little guy can pull through this!

15. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Fingers crossed!

17. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

there is very little left that can be done for him. At this point, it's basically hope for the best.
    You know that I'm right there with you. Did you mention the "steam tent" idea to the Vet? If so, just wondering what he thought of it?

19. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    You know that I'm right there with you. Did you mention the "steam tent" idea to the Vet? If so, just wondering what he thought of it?
    I did. His thoughts were that anything could help at this point and that its worh a shot.

He gave him Theophylline to help, and said we should see improvement in 24-48 hours and to give the meds more of a chance. He's very sick, but Dr Ker doesn't feel he's beyond saving.

He HAS gotten up and around and been eating some since he got home

Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Praying!!!!!! Xo

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

He gave him Theophylline to help
    It's indication is listed as "Theophylline is indicated for the treatment of the symptoms and reversible airflow obstruction associated with chronic asthma and other chronic lung diseases, e.g., emphysema and chronic bronchitis." This, of course, is the indication for humans. The drug apparently can be administered as a tablet/capsule, liquid, or injection. I suspect that he may have administered via injection? If not what is the concentration of the liquid? This inquiring mind wants to know.........

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    It's indication is listed as "Theophylline is indicated for the treatment of the symptoms and reversible airflow obstruction associated with chronic asthma and other chronic lung diseases, e.g., emphysema and chronic bronchitis." This, of course, is the indication for humans. The drug apparently can be administered as a tablet/capsule, liquid, or injection. I suspect that he may have administered via injection? If not what is the concentration of the liquid? This inquiring mind wants to know.........
    He wanted him to have it immediately and the liquid has to be ordered in. Right now he gets 1/8 of a 100mg tablet. It is crushed and mixed with some critical care and administered in this fashion. Roughly 12.5 mg per dose is what he gets. 1ml syringe full of CC and Theophylline.

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Sly is fighting this. What a tough little pig.

We've been having to force-feed him, because he simply is not eating enough on his own. Roughly 10 o'clock last night, mid-feeding, the horrible "death-rattle" that he has had, abruptly stopped. One minute he was doing it, the next it was gone. I am at a complete loss to explain this.

We woke up at 2am for another feeding, and the "rattle" was still not present. He does NOT like being force fed and fights it the entire way.

Got up for the day at 6am, and while he wasn't waiting as usual, he was alert. Still no rattle. His breathing, while still laboured, seems to have eased up a bit. He has taken all of his meds, some willingly and some not so much. Those involving force feeding aren't well received. He has eaten his entire red pepper slice willingly, along with some other veggies. He's also been in his hay pile, and I've seen him eating pellets this morning. His pellet bowl has been virtually untouched for several days now.

A short time ago I heard bar chewing and went to scold Punkin for it (the usual culprit) and was astounded to see Sly standing at the bars in the pen, trolling him. He didn't stay out long, but he seems to have a little more energy.
    Last edited by Guinea Pig Papa; 07-26-18 at 06:11 am.

25. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Sly is fighting this. What a tough little pig.

We've been having to force-feed him, because he simply is not eating enough on his own. Roughly 10 o'clock last night, mid-feeding, the horrible "death-rattle" that he has had, abruptly stopped. One minute he was doing it, the next it was gone. I am at a complete loss to explain this.

We woke up at 2am for another feeding, and the "rattle" was still not present. He does NOT like being force fed and fights it the entire way.

Got up for the day at 6am, and while he wasn't waiting as usual, he was alert. Still no rattle. His breathing, while still laboured, seems to have eased up a bit. He has taken all of his meds, some willingly and some not so much. Those involving force feeding aren't well received. He has eaten his entire red pepper slice willingly, along with some other veggies. He's also been in his hay pile, and I've seen him eating pellets this morning. His pellet bowl has been virtually untouched for several days now.

A short time ago I heard bar chewing and went to scold Punkin for it (the usual culprit) and was astounded to see Sly standing at the bars in the pen, trolling him. He didn't stay out long, but he seems to have a little more energy.
    Ah yes, so glad to hear our trooper fights on. I really believe if he didn't feel so loved and cared for he would have given up awhile back. Just like humans, those who have good support live longer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Ah yes, so glad to hear our trooper fights on. I really believe if he didn't feel so loved and cared for he would have given up awhile back. Just like humans, those who have good support live longer.
    @Artista, he was so bad yesterday I really believed deep in my heart that we were heading to the vets to stop his suffering. He was struggling to breathe so badly that at one point he barely had the strength to lift his head, and those changes came about between 7a.m. and noon.

I was a wreck yesterday. Today the improvements are continuing even now into the afternoon. He actually just climbed the bars when I walked in the room, nose waggling and ears wiggling to see if I had a treat. He's eating more on his own now, but he's still being supplemented with Critical Care.

28. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

@Artista, he was so bad yesterday I really believed deep in my heart that we were heading to the vets to stop his suffering. He was struggling to breathe so badly that at one point he barely had the strength to lift his head, and those changes came about between 7a.m. and noon.

I was a wreck yesterday. Today the improvements are continuing even now into the afternoon. He actually just climbed the bars when I walked in the room, nose waggling and ears wiggling to see if I had a treat. He's eating more on his own now, but he's still being supplemented with Critical Care.
    He is bouncing back when he goes down so far. He's not ready to go as witnessed by him improving again.

User Tag List