Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Good luck to him! Hope the meds clear it up soon.

2. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Good luck to him! Hope the meds clear it up soon.
    Thank you, @bpatters. It's just worrisome because of his age. I gave him his daily bowl of veggies and he is eating them for the moment. I'll pick up his meds this afternoon and see where the weekend takes us.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Woke up to a sick little man this morning.

He's always, always waiting at the bars for his pepper slice when I get up. This morning, no Sly. I called him and got his nose to poke out for a second, then back in. I lifted the house off him and moved it, and he ran back into it. I went to give him his metacam and glucosamine which he just loves. He took the metacam and refused everything else.

I gave him his slice of red pepper, and he nibbled at but not much. I mixed up critical care which he also loves. A few bites, nothing more. I picked him up to hold him, and I could hear a grunting, crackling noise when he breathes. His breathing seems to be somewhat laboured, his sides seem to move harder when he breathes. When I put him back in his cage, he went and laid face down in the corner.

Sly's vet is on vacation until Monday. I called the vet hospital and told them what I had, and they agreed that it is likely an upper respiratory infection. They're going to have antibiotics ready for me to pick up this afternoon. He's had one dose of Sulfatrim this morning that I had left over.

He's been up and around a little bit more since then. Picked a little at food, and I've seen him eat some hay and a few pellets.
    Praying hard for sly. I feel for you. Once our guys have something complicated going on, it's stress like a watching waiting and hoping thing. Sending love and positive energy to you both. XO

5. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

I am SO glad I had that one dose of antibiotics left over.

The vets office did end up giving me a course of Sulfatrim for him, with the stipulation that he sees Dr Ker first thing Monday morning. 0.5 ml every 12 hours til finished. Sly was up staggering around at 430 this morning, and when I got up at 6, he was at the bars waiting for me as he usually is. He was even climbing the bars, a rarity lately. He ate his entire red pepper slice in one sitting, and is now eating from his pellet bowl.

He went for a stroll in the pen, realized he had a new box and had to play with it a little. He briefly trolled the kids, then went back to eat. He's also been at his water bottle, which he only did twice yesterday.

Safe to say he's feeling better. Not out of the woods yet, but a tremendous improvement over yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Yea, Sly! Happy that you're feeling better. You really had your Papa worried. Chip & Sparky send their best!

8. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

So happy to hear! I was scared opening this thread. Bella says wheek! Sending our love and strength for you both. Xo

10. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

He's been eating almost non stop most of the morning, now. Catching up I guess. He napped from about 930 til 11, then back into his pellet dish.

He went back out to troll the kids again, and then actually popcorned (or what passes for a popcorn with his old bones these days) and went back to eating.

The difference 24 hours and two doses of antibiotics have made are like night and day. Very, very surprised.

12. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    498 Rec'd/400 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Happy to hear he is improving! You caught it nice and early, so I am sure he will be just fine. He is the pig that just keeps on kicking!

We recently had a URI outbreak here. I woke up a couple of weeks ago to one breathing heavy and rasping sounding, which then spread to 3 others over the course of a couple days. Not sure where it came from, but all my girls are feeling much better, they are still on a week or so of antibiotics, but you wouldn't know anything was ever wrong now.

14. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    Happy to hear he is improving! You caught it nice and early, so I am sure he will be just fine. He is the pig that just keeps on kicking!

We recently had a URI outbreak here. I woke up a couple of weeks ago to one breathing heavy and rasping sounding, which then spread to 3 others over the course of a couple days. Not sure where it came from, but all my girls are feeling much better, they are still on a week or so of antibiotics, but you wouldn't know anything was ever wrong now.
    URI's are so frigging scary. They just pop up out of nowhere, and they can take a pig so very fast. Again, Sly got sick on a Friday. Friday the 13th, of course. I don't know what it is with him and Fridays, but at least it was first thing in the morning so I didn't have to make panicked phone calls to get him in. They initially wanted to give him Baytril, but I asked for something milder first because Pooper had Baytril once and tolerated it poorly. Very poorly. Sly doesn't have the weight to trade off.

He's been eating and playing all day. Not quite normal, but getting there rapidly. He does NOT like the antibiotics, and I snookered him this morning between his other syringes. The look I got when he realized what I'd done was priceless.

Hopefully your girls will be just fine in no time. URI's are no joke, they're absolutely terrifying. This episode has actually made me consider keeping an antibiotic in the house just in case this happens again on a weekend.

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Baytril is the worst. It caused Mooshy to stop eating. It's a no for Bella. There is another option that works to try.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

URI's are so frigging scary. They just pop up out of nowhere, and they can take a pig so very fast. Again, Sly got sick on a Friday. Friday the 13th, of course. I don't know what it is with him and Fridays, but at least it was first thing in the morning so I didn't have to make panicked phone calls to get him in. They initially wanted to give him Baytril, but I asked for something milder first because Pooper had Baytril once and tolerated it poorly. Very poorly. Sly doesn't have the weight to trade off.

He's been eating and playing all day. Not quite normal, but getting there rapidly. He does NOT like the antibiotics, and I snookered him this morning between his other syringes. The look I got when he realized what I'd done was priceless.

Hopefully your girls will be just fine in no time. URI's are no joke, they're absolutely terrifying. This episode has actually made me consider keeping an antibiotic in the house just in case this happens again on a weekend.
    Hello. I am new to this group and I found myself reading all about Sly. He sounds like an amazing lil piggie. I hope he is feeling better. I am so happy that I found this group. I thought i was the only one who fell absolutely in love with these little piggies. And you sound like an amazing piggie papa! Sly (and all your other babies) is very lucky to have you. Get well soon Sly!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

18. "Thank you, Iluvmypigs, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Thank you, @Iluvmypigs. He certainly is an amazing little man, kind of like the Energizer bunny. He keeps going and going. He IS feeling better, but he isn't eating enough to suit my taste. I'm going to weigh him tonight, and if I don't like what I see we're going to start with Critical Care feedings. His breathing is somewhat laboured, he's kind of puffing when he exhales, very similar to what happened when Pooper fell ill in May of 2016. His vet says his lungs sounded clear on Monday, and his heart sounds good. He's to stay on the antibiotics for another 7 days. He has another checkup for his teeth Aug 1st, but if anything pops up before then he's to go back immediately to see the Dr.

As for being lucky? I'm pretty sure I'm the lucky one!

20. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Sly is having a rough go this time around.

Not very active at all today. He again showed little interest in his meds this morning, and took over 30 minutes to eat a red pepper slice. Hes not even been out to troll the young fellas today.

He HAS been eating some regular timothy hay again, which is strange. Poop output overnight and today has been minimal, though he IS eating. Hes also packed in a fair amount of veggies today. His weight tonight was 1190 grams, whereas Sunday morning it was 1140.

I am suspecting he is having some adverse effects from the antibiotics. I am as yet undecided whether or not to continue them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Sly is having a rough go this time around.

Not very active at all today. He again showed little interest in his meds this morning, and took over 30 minutes to eat a red pepper slice. Hes not even been out to troll the young fellas today.

He HAS been eating some regular timothy hay again, which is strange. Poop output overnight and today has been minimal, though he IS eating. Hes also packed in a fair amount of veggies today. His weight tonight was 1190 grams, whereas Sunday morning it was 1140.

I am suspecting he is having some adverse effects from the antibiotics. I am as yet undecided whether or not to continue them.
    Mooshy stopped eating on baytril. Can you try another one?

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Mooshy stopped eating on baytril. Can you try another one?
    Sly is still eating, but i cant see him all day long to see how much. His weight is also up which is good. Its the inactivity and lack of interest in anything, coupled with very little poop output today thats scaring me. Ive also not seen him drink at all today.

He isnt on Baytril. Hes on sulfatrim.

I think I'm going to stop the antibiotics.

24. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Sly now has pneumonia.

To paraphrase the vet this morning, "He is a very, very sick little pig."

He's been given a Baytril injection, and had another oral dose tonight. He IS eating, and has actually been out running around, just a little.

Obviously, he will need to be monitored to make sure he still eats, but this mornings crackly breathing has subsided significantly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Sly now has pneumonia.

To paraphrase the vet this morning, "He is a very, very sick little pig."

He's been given a Baytril injection, and had another oral dose tonight. He IS eating, and has actually been out running around, just a little.

Obviously, he will need to be monitored to make sure he still eats, but this mornings crackly breathing has subsided significantly.
    Poor little guy. Praying for him.

I had to stop with Bellas ear cleaning and med. Sat night my left breast that had cancer got infected. I had radiation and am prone to infection. There are signs of bella scratches when trying to hold her down so I'm pretty sure that's the cause. Anyway I'm in the hospital on iv antibiotics hopefully discharged tomorrow. Poor bella is home alone with my friend helping twice a day. Her appt is fri for xrays and urine with culture labs. Got to take her even though it's a drive and I'm pooped.

Love to you both.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Poor little guy. Praying for him.

I had to stop with Bellas ear cleaning and med. Sat night my left breast that had cancer got infected. I had radiation and am prone to infection. There are signs of bella scratches when trying to hold her down so I'm pretty sure that's the cause. Anyway I'm in the hospital on iv antibiotics hopefully discharged tomorrow. Poor bella is home alone with my friend helping twice a day. Her appt is fri for xrays and urine with culture labs. Got to take her even though it's a drive and I'm pooped.

Love to you both.
    I'm just as concerned about you and Bella, as you are about my bear cub. I hadn't seen any updates on her, and I was kind of hoping that no news is good news.

Do what you have to in order to get well, for both your sakes. I'm so glad little Bella has some help.

Love to both of you, and our thoughts and positive energy for both of your recoveries.

28. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

I'm just as concerned about you and Bella, as you are about my bear cub. I hadn't seen any updates on her, and I was kind of hoping that no news is good news.

Do what you have to in order to get well, for both your sakes. I'm so glad little Bella has some help.

Love to both of you, and our thoughts and positive energy for both of your recoveries.
    You're very kind. We'll send positive energy to each other.

30. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    498 Rec'd/400 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Oh no! Poor little guy. Best wishes to you guys. I hope he can pull through this.

Hopefully the baytril doesn't bother him too much. We recently used doxycycline with a lot of success. It took care of 4 URI's and was well tolerated by everyone. But if the oral antibiotics start taking their toll on him, possibly ask your vet about nebulized antibiotics. Many years ago I had pneumonia successfully treated with one of my pigs. I believe gentamicin was used.

Regardless, I'm sending thoughts your and Sly's way! You as well @Artista best wishes for you and little Bella, I'm hoping you recover well and that you can get some answers for your girl.

32. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List