Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Sly's Medical Thread

I really should merge this with another thread I had about Sly a couple of years ago, and I will probably get to that. What I'm wondering, is if any of our Canadian members here have had their pigs teeth clipped (molars and fronts) and if they have, what have the costs associated with that been? Sly is going to need some dental work in the near future and I'm just curious ballpark what I'm going to need dollar wise. Any help would be appreciated. Sly is a senior and I'm very afraid this is going to be difficult on him.

Edited by bpatters:

Prior medical threads for this pig:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...lem?highlight=
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...oss?highlight=
    Last edited by bpatters; 12-12-16 at 09:03 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,919 Rec'd/5,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3551 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

Please do continue Sly's medical page. Create a new thread for him if his is too old to edit, and include the URL of the old thread in the first post of the new one. Don't make this about him. People can answer about the dental stuff, but if you get treatment for him, use his medical thread.

In general, incisors never need to be clipped unless there's something wrong with the molars. Don't let them clip them unless they're crooked, or so long that they're piercing the opposite gums.

You'll just have to call about the costs. Costs vary widely in different parts of the country, and even within the same city. Just find a GOOD exotic vet who has extensive rodent dental experience, and don't trust him to anyone who doesn't.

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

His incisors ARE angled. The thread about normal weight loss in another pig is what caught my attention. You and I spoke about Sly's weight loss a couple of months ago and it has stayed inconsistent. He is still around the normal weight, he loses a bit steadily then gains some back, loses steadily and gains back. But the thread about the other pig made me double check his teeth, and another thread about excessive water drinking also caused concern. That's when I double checked and saw his incisors are angled. He still eats normally, doesn't have the slobbers or drop chunks of vegetables, but I know now that there is an issue. I was just curious if anyone in the same province I live in has had any experience in this same area and can advise what the costs roughly are. Not that it matters, I'll spend the money anyway. I would just like to know what I'm up against.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,919 Rec'd/5,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3551 Post(s)

Yes, if the teeth are slanted, there's definitely a problem with the molars. But they need to attack the problem by planing the molars, NOT by just trimming the front teeth.

Your vet should do skull x-rays, both top and side views, in order to check for abscesses and/or elongated roots. And he should do a thorough visual exam of the molars, which may involve "whiffing" the pig under with a gas anesthetic for a few minutes to be able to get a good view.

Again, find a vet with dental experience.

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Agreed. I'm going to call his regular vet first who is an exotic vet, and an older gentleman to boot and try to get him in. It isn't critical yet, as we speak he's happily munching Oxbow pellets. With the holidays coming up I'll have to find out how to get him in or even if I can and after he sees his regular vet, If I'm not comfortable with what transpires there I will take him elsewhere. Sly's health and well being come first.

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

This is the URL for the weight loss back in October
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...oss?highlight=

And this is his original thread
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...lem?highlight=

Interestingly, you've been the one answering all the questions I've asked. Thank you so very much for all of your help and advice. Sly thanks you too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    460 Rec'd/364 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)

I use Campus Estates in Guelph, Dr. Pascos treated my one sow with malocclusion and always did an excellent job. Gretchen was always up and eating the same evening of her surgery and I really love the Veterinary clinic. She had 4 molar trims over a 6 month time period. She passed away around 8 months ago from what seemed like a rapid URI, but we're not really sure and I didn't want to do a necropsy.

The first trim was around $275 and repeat trims were around $165.

That didn't include medication, I was able to buy a huge bottle of Metacam to have on hand, it was around $80.

We also did a whole bunch of diagnostics because we couldn't find out what was causing her rapid weight loss and malocclusion. Prices for her diagnostics were:

Skull and jaw X-rays - $270
    Chest X-ray - $150
    Blood work - $200

On top of all of this was the cost of critical care, feeding syringes and supplements.

In the end we never found anything wrong, her very back molars just seemed determined to grow and she had really excessive thirst. 2 rounds of blood work came back clean, skull and jaw radiographs were normal, no visible abscess or elongated roots. Her heart looked normal on Xray and she had no symptoms of being a heart pig.

Hoping everything goes well for you and Sly!

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Thank you Sally! That's what I was looking for. As I said, he isn't critical at all, I've just noticed the issue. I kept waking up last night and going to check on my fellas (as usual) and every time I checked on Sly he was eating, naturally. But, now that I know there's an issue it needs to be corrected.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I believe I started the thread about the pig with slanted teeth you mentioned. I'll just warn you that it can get serious very quickly. He was eating fine, and abruptly stopped (he ate some, just not much), and I didn't notice for 2-3 days. He was a small pig to begin with and really couldn't afford to lose the weight he had dropped.

My vet never even mentioned trimming the front teeth, as she knew the real problem was with the molars. As I understand, work on molars requires sedation and has to be performed every 4-6 weeks usually. She had done the procedure many times before, and I wouldn't have trusted anyone who just wanted to trim his front teeth or didn't offer to do an X-ray. So make sure your vet seems aware of all of this. Not sure your case will be as serious, but my vet knew what was up as soon as she weighed him and looked at his front teeth. Don't mean to scare you or anything, just sharing my experience! Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,919 Rec'd/5,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3551 Post(s)

Just one correction. Molars don't always have to be planed every 4-6 weeks. It depends on what's wrong with them. Sometimes a pig can get a hay poke in the gum that makes it painful to chew on one side, and the teeth go wonky. But if the original problem is cleared up and the teeth are straightened out, they may not need repeat planings. Other conditions will require frequent planings. But I'd certainly want to know what caused the original problem, if possible, and then decide what treatment, if any, to do.

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey36 View Post
    I believe I started the thread about the pig with slanted teeth you mentioned. I'll just warn you that it can get serious very quickly. He was eating fine, and abruptly stopped (he ate some, just not much), and I didn't notice for 2-3 days. He was a small pig to begin with and really couldn't afford to lose the weight he had dropped.

My vet never even mentioned trimming the front teeth, as she knew the real problem was with the molars. As I understand, work on molars requires sedation and has to be performed every 4-6 weeks usually. She had done the procedure many times before, and I wouldn't have trusted anyone who just wanted to trim his front teeth or didn't offer to do an X-ray. So make sure your vet seems aware of all of this. Not sure your case will be as serious, but my vet knew what was up as soon as she weighed him and looked at his front teeth. Don't mean to scare you or anything, just sharing my experience! Good luck!
    You WERE the one who started that thread, Kelsey, and I thank you for it. Sly has an appointment with his vet, who unfortunately can't get him in until the 22nd. If it takes a turn for the worse I will rush him there and basically make them look at him. (That's what I did with Poopy back in May) Sly is a large pig, and his weight loss has amounted to about 50-60 grams total over about 2 months. He is still 1365 grams, so he's still hefty. He is constantly being monitored so I'll know in short order if he stops. Pickings for exotic vets in my immediate area are slim but I will still be looking around.

12. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Update : Sly is having surgery this afternoon. Please, please keep your fingers crossed and keep him in your thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Sending all my positive thoughts to you and Sly.

15. "Thank you, new2piggs, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    200 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Good luck! Best wishes to both of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. "Thank you, jaycriae, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    460 Rec'd/364 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)

Sending wishes your way, keep us updated on how he does!

19. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,436 Rec'd/1,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Update : Sly is having surgery this afternoon. Please, please keep your fingers crossed and keep him in your thoughts.
    Chip & Sparky send wheeks of encouragement to Sly! My dearly departed Chester had dental work every 4 wks for the last six months of his life. Based on our numerous experiences, I can tell you that Sly may/may not eat the same day. A cavy's mouth is SO small that it's always possible that a vet may nick his gums or cheek and that will need to heal before he's back to normal. It sometimes happens even with the best of Vets. In that event, you will need to supplement him with Critical Care feedings until he's back to normal again.

Keep us posted!

21. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Update 2:

Sly, my little Christmas pig, is now home. Surgery went extremely well. Dr Ker said he's the first pig in his entire career to let him use the buccal pad separator to check his teeth without being sedated. We were told he would be groggy for perhaps a day or two, and to encourage him to eat whatever he wants, especially his hay. He had a needle of Baytril presumaby to ward off any post op infection and metacam for pain relief. His front molars had grown inward, trapping his tongue. I owe a heartfelt thank you to Kelsey36, for without her post and loss of her pig I wouldn't have known to check. I owe Sly's life to everyone here on these forums, so thank you everyone. Sly is home and is already eating hay and chilling out!

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I'm so happy the surgery went well! Rest up Sly and get better fast!!!

24. "Thank you, new2piggs, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    200 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

I'm so glad to hear it went well! I hope Sly enjoys some well-deserved rest now, and you as well :)

26. "Thank you, jaycriae, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    360 Rec'd/322 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Thank you to everyone. I was extremely busy with work yesterday so I didn't get to see Sly much, but I understand that as soon as he came home, he climbed out of his carrier and went straight to a pile of fresh hay, and sat there and munched for roughly 2 1/2 hours! He was still pretty groggy and stumbling a bit, but overall seemed to be doing extremely well. This morning he had a treat and continued munching his hay. I was literally on pins and needles yesterday, and spent the day with a pounding stress headache worrying about my little buddy. When I got the call that he was ok, I really did feel like a tremendous weight had suddenly been lifted off of me.

Finally, Merry Christmas everyone! I got my gift a little early, and it was worth every nickel!

User Tag List