Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should pet stores/shelters ban "serial abandoners"?

Mortiaryfaerie

Cavy Slave
This is somewhat a rant and question so bear with me.

Now I consider myself fairly understanding when it comes to the need to surrender a pet. Unexpected stuff absolutely happens, and sometimes surrender is whats best for the pet.

But I cannot stand people who repeatedly get pets, have no intention of caring for them, and the abandon them. My father's Other Daughter has adopted about 15 dogs in the last 8 years. So far all but two have either gone back to a shelter or been "released" into the wild. A girl I went to high school with keeps adopting animals then abandoning them or neglecting them to the point of death (I'm talking about 2 back to shelters and about 5 dead in the past year).

Thus trash just makes me absolutely sick! W H Y are people like this still allowed to take animals!?

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I agree with you 100%. Human beings can be so nonchalant about just disposing of their supposedly loved pets. They treat them like merchandise that can be returned and exchanged. Just another reason why I prefer animals over people most of the time.

Maplepig

Cavy Slave
I guess some people just don't understand that animals have feelings too, and don't exist merely for our entertainment.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't understand, or don't care. I agree with lisa325. I'll take my piggies over most people any time.

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
I worked at a shelter once and they had to turn some people away because they had a history or surrendering and adopting multiple times throughout the year. The person who was turned away was, of course, furious, but if that helped saved an animal from situations like Mortiaryfaerie mentioned - then it's a good thing. Pet stores do not screen their buyers whether it be stores that sell small animals or stores that sell puppies. I got one of my guinea pigs from a pet store (before I realized there are such things as guinea pig mills) and the screening was basically signing a contract saying if they get sick within a certain number of days to bring the vet bill back and the store will reimburse me. It had nothing about where I was going to keep the guinea pig and what type of cage, etc. unlike shelters - who screen and keep track of adopters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.