Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Young and adult pig together.... which pellets??

HDC_dancer

Cavy Gazer
I'm looking to get a young pig buddy for my 6-7 month old pig. Being 6-7 months old my current pig needs to be switched to Timothy-based adult pellets. My problem is when I get the young pig what do I do about pellets? There isn't enough calcium in adult pellets for the young one and too much calcium in young pellets for the older one. Can I feed them both adult pellets and supplement the young ones diet somehow?

Kensium

Cavy Slave
I personally would not recommend doing so unless you were to keep track of exactly how much calcium the younger piggy would get. If I was in your situation, I'd get a removable divider for the cage so you can feed both of them their separate foods at different times of the day. I wish you good luck in finding a friend for your guinea pig!

Edited by bpatters: Actually, that's wrong advice, [MENTION=38341]Kensium[/MENTION]. Feeding adult pellets to all pigs, and supplementing the younger one with calcium, is a very common way to handle this problem.

Please be sure that the advice you give in this forum is correct. People depend on this forum for accurate advice on caring for their pigs.

Last edited by a moderator:

HDC_dancer

Cavy Gazer
Ok. Thank you for the help!

miniver

Cavy Slave
You can give the baby some treats that are higher in calcium and feed them both timothy-based pellets. I believe parsley, dandelion greens and kale are popular choices of treats for young guinea pigs.

HDC_dancer

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your help! I do think that that would be easier for me and as a plus that will help with bonding!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@HDC_dancer, you can certainly put them together and feed them both timothy pellets. Take the baby out once or twice a day for a sprig or two of parsley, and that will be fine.

HDC_dancer

Cavy Gazer
Great! Thanks for your help [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.