Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Coco-Larva in Ear!

Hey guys,
    So I was spot cleaning and Coco started shaking her head and scratching at one of her ears. I immediately took her out, got a flashlight, and looked in her ear. I saw no mites, but there was some kind of larva in her ear canal! It is white, has small hairs, and is an oval shape. That was yesterday. This morning, I checked her ear again and it was gone! I don't know if it went farther in or she scratched it out. I will take her to an exotic vet near me ASAP. Any ideas on what it could be? The cage is being kept extra clean.
    ~PiggieLove13

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Re: Coco-Larva in Ear!

No idea, sorry. Let us know what the vet says.

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

How curious! Would love to know how this turned out, please post back when you can. Good Luck!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

So I checked on her the next day and it was gone! I thought that it might have gone deeper, but I watched Coco for a long time and she didn't shake her head or scratch at her ear. I took her to the vet and they found nothing. I guess it disappeared! I clean her cage thoroughly so if it did fall out it wouldn't try to return.
    ~PiggieLove13 :)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Question Re: Coco-Constipation??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	81650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	81651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	81652UPDATE: I think Coco might be bloated. She has an egg-sized lump that hangs from her belly. I hear gurgling sounds a lot. She seems to poo less. Is she constipated? It doesn't hurt her when I press on her belly. I am feeding her less pellets and no treats. I also am offering cleaner water and refilling it two times a day along with cleaning it out. Any ideas? I might call the vets to see what they think. Her nose also has some crustiness around it.
    ~PiggieLove13

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

I doubt that she's constipated. A one-sided lump is usually a pregnancy in just one horn of the uterus, or an ovarian cyst on that side.

Bloat is a full on medical emergency, and you'll have an obviously sick pig on your hands. She may be gassy, but if she's eating and drinking and pooping, she's not bloated,

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I know she isn't pregnant, since she is 4 years old and hasn't been with boars for more than 3 years. The original owners kept two males and two females in a cage the size for one pig. Coco has given birth to 3 babies once. It's not on one side, it's in the middle. I only feed her hay, pellets, romaine lettuce, a small slice of banana every two weeks or so, a grape once a week, and maybe one small blueberry. And a slice or two of cucumber a week. Is she just really gassy? It seems warm. She's never been spayed, so maybe it is an ovarian cyst?? I hope not...
    ~PiggieLove13

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

With a one-sided lump at her age, I'd be getting her to an exotic vet to be checked for an ovarian cyst.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Ok thank you. I'll set up a vet appointment for Coco(I go to an exotic vet don't worry ;) )
    ~PiggieLove13

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Is that the lump in the second photo? That looks like it might be a tumour. It's quite large too. Good luck at the vet, please keep us updated.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray hares View Post
    Is that the lump in the second photo? That looks like it might be a tumour. It's quite large too. Good luck at the vet, please keep us updated.
    Yes that is the lump. It's soft and warm and not hard. Are tumors supposed to be hard? She doesn't seem bothered at all by it. My parents don't want to take her to the vet and they would never let her have surgery to remove a tumor. I would do anything on the other hand. :(
    ~PiggieLove13

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Tumors are usually firm, but not always. Cysts can be either hard or soft.

She may not need surgery to remove it. There are other ways to treat ovarian cysts if that's what it is -- a couple of different kinds of injections can be used which will usually shrink them. It's not a cure, like surgery is, but they're less expensive and less invasive for the pig.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Ok thanks for the info. This morning I just noticed another lump on her neck. It's harder than her belly. Her belly lump seems to have shrunk a lot. I didn't ever notice the lump on her neck yesterday. It was almost 70 degrees outside so I let Coco nibble on some grass with the sun shining on her. The wind was blowing so I had to take her in before she got too chilly. She really enjoyed the wildlife and sunshine. :) Shes still acting normal, and drinking a very good amount.
    ~PiggieLove13
    PS sorry the pics are sideways I couldn't change it. ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	81682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	81683  

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Lumps in the neck are very likely to be cervical lymphadenitis, a bacterial infection that's very contagious to other pigs if the lump ruptures. You need to get her to a good exotic vet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Is is really serious? I'm already freaking out because I don't want to lose another pig. :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

How is freaking out going to help anything?

Your pig has something that needs to be seen by a vet. The only thing you can do at this time is get her to an exotic vet. Nobody can diagnose it for sure over the internet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

UPDATE: Things have taken a turn for the worse. This morning I walked downstairs to turn her lights on only to find her lying on her side unable to get up. She was halfway inside her pigloo, and her eyes were so wide open I could see the whites of her eyes. I carefully placed her on the carpet. She tried to walk towards me, but she was too wobbly and weak. I got a container and put her in it with a blanket and her stuffed whale. She ate some lettuce and drank water, but she was really slow. I took her to the vet and they said she has some kind of respiratory infection. It's not the typical respiratory infection, but it could be linked to some heart disease since her heart rate is actually slower than normal for a pig her size. The belly lump sort of 'split' and now there are too lumps on her sides, and the one still on her neck. They gave me some Baytril Elixer and Critical Care. They also gave her some injections. Here's the dosage for them:

Baytril Elixer- 0.5 ml every 12 hrs.
    Critical Care- 10-15 ml of mixture daily.

I think it's because Coco lives in the basement with no sunlight. I told my parents that guinea pigs need daily natural sunlight, warmer temps, and no drafty areas, but they didn't listen. They only listen when something goes wrong. Now she is going to live in my room with fleece instead of aspen shaving just to be safe and help her be more comfortable. Right now she's snuggled in a container by the window with a heating blanket above her. I gave her some Baytril, but I had to rub her chin to get her to swallow. I also added a few drops of water with the Baytril in her mouth to help it go down. Please be praying for Coco, I would appreciate it so much. Thanks everyone. :) <3
    ~PiggieLove13
    Last edited by PiggieLove13; 02-20-17 at 11:01 am. Reason: needed to add more

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

UPDATE #2 : She is refusing to swallow the Critical Care, even after I added a lot of water to make it thin and warmed it up to make it lukewarm. She's gotten almost 1.5 ml down. I'm worried she's giving up..I also got some water down.
    ~PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

She passed away at 2:04. I have no guinea pigs now and I don't know what to do. Rest in Peace Coco, I will see you again one day..
    ~PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I'm sorry for your loss. Whatever she had, she put up a good fight.

User Tag List