Thread: Rat has small cut on ear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Rat has small cut on ear

Hey guys, so this morning i noticed that my albino dumbo rat, Astrid, has a small scrape on her right ear.
    I'm assuming her cage mate, Luna, must have bitten or scratched her while they were play fighting, They are still both very young so they do play fight often.
    Its not a super deep cut or anything, its just a scrape. It looks like it had been bleeding a little but not a lot. Also she doesn't really seem to be in pain, but i didn't try touching it or anything.
    Basically it's not really an emergency so I'm not gonna take her to the vet unless it gets worse. I'm not super worried I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to make the healing process faster and not painful, and also how I would clean it. Thank you
    Here are some pictures, sorry about the quality, I can barely get her to stay still!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8496.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	81065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8498.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	81066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8490.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	81067

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,520 Rec'd/5,136 Posts
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3226 Post(s)

Re: Rat has small cut on ear

I don't know anything about rats, but here's what I would do if it were a guinea pig. I'd keep a very close eye on it, and if you see any sign of infection -- redness, swelling, heat, odor, pus -- I'd immediately put some triple antibiotic cream (any pharmacy) on it with a q-tip. If that didn't produce immediate results, I'd see a vet.

User Tag List