Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rat has small cut on ear

CalliePigLover

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, so this morning i noticed that my albino dumbo rat, Astrid, has a small scrape on her right ear.
I'm assuming her cage mate, Luna, must have bitten or scratched her while they were play fighting, They are still both very young so they do play fight often.
Its not a super deep cut or anything, its just a scrape. It looks like it had been bleeding a little but not a lot. Also she doesn't really seem to be in pain, but i didn't try touching it or anything.
Basically it's not really an emergency so I'm not gonna take her to the vet unless it gets worse. I'm not super worried I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to make the healing process faster and not painful, and also how I would clean it. Thank you :)
Here are some pictures, sorry about the quality, I can barely get her to stay still! lol
IMG_8496.jpgIMG_8498.jpgIMG_8490.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know anything about rats, but here's what I would do if it were a guinea pig. I'd keep a very close eye on it, and if you see any sign of infection -- redness, swelling, heat, odor, pus -- I'd immediately put some triple antibiotic cream (any pharmacy) on it with a q-tip. If that didn't produce immediate results, I'd see a vet.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is a situation where you need to THINK before you post! The poster is not asking for this type of advice nor does she want it. And, it shows your lack of knowledge and empathy.

A plethora of people keep rats as pets and report them to be clean, extremely loyal and affectionate to humans, and delightful pets. Rats that are kept as pets are not the variety that you may have seen in the subway at 0630 in the morning! You are obviously a newbie on this Forum and probably should just watch and read for a while before you jump into a discussion whether about rat, cavies, or any other creature that is kept as a pet. If you wish to advertise exterminator services, this is certainly NOT the place to do it.

I think @Francesmeader is a troll. They posted in the vegetarian thread, stating that now you can eat meat. Not sure what the logic is, but I make no heads or tails of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.