Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Hay Was Stuck In Eye

March

Cavy Slave
I saw one of my guinea pigs had hay stuck above the lid of his eye. My dad pulled out the short peice of hay and I flushed his eye with water. Before I left for school, his eyelid only looked irritated and red. Should I still take him to the vet and how can I avoid this? Thanks

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would monitor him closely and if the redness does not clear up or look better I would take him to the vet tomorrow. You can't really avoid the hay incidents they are usually just accidents. But make sure when you put hay in the cage that your pig(s) are not standing right under the hay looking up at it as this is a huge way they can get something in their eyes.
If there is no hay left in his eye, the redness should clear up pretty fast, within the day, I'd say. Just watch him and make sure you don't do anything further to irritate it.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I agree with @Gforcepiggies. Keep a close watch over the eye. If you notice any abnormal fluid or if the eye seems still irritated when you get home, I would take the pig to the vet. Eye injuries can be really painful. Our blind sow, Emily has had three hay pokes in the last few months. She burrows in the hay all the time. I don't think there is much you can do to avoid it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.