Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Discharge from female guinea pig???

smn1311

Cavy Slave
So my guinea pig Peanut was walking around her cage when I noticed she had a poop hanging from her butt and I thought somehow it might have been stuck to a piece of hay and so when I went to pull it off it turned out it was discharge, it was sort of a small thin string and it was sticky. I picked her up and wiped the excess off and is VERYYYY slightly tinted light brown (but I'm sure that's just because it came in contact with the poop) and there wasn't much of it, is this something that happens or is there something wrong? She's been peeing and pooping fine, she's been eating normally, everything has been the same except for the discharge. I read that it could be a mucus plug? But I'm not sure I just wanted to make sure and I don't want to unnecessarily take them to the vet since I just took them one week ago and the exotics vet near my area is very very pricey. Please get back to me soon, I'll keep an eye on her but for now she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything, it was as though she couldn't even feel the discharge.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes it probably was a mucus plug. If there is nothing else out of the ordinary then there is no reason to take her to the vet yet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably a mucus plug. Just keep an eye on her, and if you see any more mucus, particularly if the poop is strung together with mucus, it will indicate a digestive upset.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.