Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Hedgehog Lighting

Hi there,

I'm completely new to this forum. My family and I will be getting our first hedgehog next month. The hedgehog will reside in my son's room (he's 15). My concern is that my son sleeps with the light on. It's somewhat dimmed, however, it's still on. Since hedgies need daylight and nighttime lighting is there a way to get around this? Could I cover the hedgie's cage with sheet or something? Not sure whether I can get my son to switch light off. Any advice would be really appreciated. I asked the same question to a hedgehog forum a couple of days ago, but no one has answered as yet. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)

Re: Hedgehog Lighting

Sadly I know nothing about hedgehogs, maybe someone else has one and can offer advice. Or there may be a hedgehog forum out there?

Thanks
    Thanks
    648 Rec'd/557 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

[email protected], I also know nothing about hedgehogs so this advice may not be helpful to you. I have a canary who needs 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness so I cover his birdcage with a cover at night. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with a hedgehog. I guess the only drawback would be if the hedgie pulled part of the cover into the cage and tried to eat the material.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a more definitive answer. Hopefully someone from a hedgie forum can offer you some advice.

Enjoy your new hedgie. They are such unique little characters. When I worked at a veterinary hospital we had a client who had several of them. I remember the doctor spending such a long time trying to get one of them to unroll so he could look at its nose. That little buggar was not going to cooperate. Between the owner and the doctor they finally got hedgie to relax and the exam went off fine. Hedgehogs do have such sweet little faces.

Thanks
    Thanks
    648 Rec'd/557 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

I waited too late to edit and add this but I just wanted to say one additional thing. You are probably wondering why this goofy woman is talking about a canary when you asked about a hedgehog. The point I should have said is that our bird is in the same room where we watch TV and are usually up until very late at night. The lights are always on and I worried if they would bother the bird. With the cage covered he just tucks his head under his wing and sleeps with no problem. I would imagine if you cover the cage your hedgehog would not be bothered by the dim light in your son's room.

User Tag List