Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pig wheeking question?

smn1311

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have been wheeling a lot recently since they've become more comfortable with me, I read that apparently it means they're hungry or they want food but they have pellets and hay and they still wheek. I'm guessing they want veggies but just for clarification I shouldn't feed them every time they wheek right? So I don't over feed them? I've been a little paranoid since I got them haha, thanks so much!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I just got my two girls a couple months ago and I don't feed them every time they wheek. I tell them that they are silly girls and that it's not time to eat just yet, but then I might go and give them a little more hay. They love their hay!!! I try to dig out a seedhead, oh those are such treats for them and they love love love them. That usually calms them down. Then at night I'll usually give them a baby carrot or a grape tomato. Although this morning you would think that I starve them!!! Literally the second I opened my eyes, they started wheeking!!! They were so funny. I always go feed my cats first, but when I passed by their cage, I put my face down to the top of the cage and they both came over and smelled my nose and my lips and then ran away doing what looked like a happy dance. They were soooo stinking cute. When I left for work, they had already sucked down their grape tomato, their carrot AND their green pepper and were chomping away on their lettuce. Boy they can eat fast!!! They just crack me up!!! Enjoy yours, they are such a delight!!!!

miniver

Cavy Slave
Ha, ha, they can be very noisy. Yes, they want a treat. They always want a treat. lol You're right not to feed them every time. The best thing you can do is get into a routine. That will help you ensure they are not over fed and give you some peace. My two girls know when it's dinner time and treat time. They still wheek every time they hear the fridge door open or if it I'm late with a scheduled feeding, but they soon quiet down and go back to doing other piggy stuff.

Post a list of what you feed them and when - hay, veggies, pellets, treats. Everyone here would be happy to help you keep them properly feed and healthy.

Also, be sure to weight them regularly so you'll know if they are eating enough and are healthy.

smn1311

Cavy Slave
Post a list of what you feed them and when - hay, veggies, pellets, treats. Everyone here would be happy to help you keep them properly feed and healthy.

Also, be sure to weight them regularly so you'll know if they are eating enough and are healthy.

Hi! I've been feeding them lots of Oxbow Timothy Hay, I heard that they were supposed to have unlimited pellets at a young age (I've been giving them the Oxbow one made for babies I forgot what it's called) but I just put a little (about 1/4 cup) in their bowl in the morning and they usually don't finish it, if they do I might put in a little more. In terms of veggies I've been trying a range of them but I've run into a couple that they definitely don't like. Peanut tends to eat quite a variety of veggies but Lula only really eats romaine lettuce and kale which worries me a bit because I can't feed them kale all that often. But to get them used to more vegetables I can't down on the regular ones a little and I just leave the new veggies in their bowls (I did bok choy yesterday) for a couple of hours and then come back with the regular veggies so they get used to eating different vegetables and all. I want to try fresh grass and dandelion greens but around where I live it's really hard to find grass without pesticides and fertilisers etc. But despite that does it all sound okay? :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.