Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners How many layers of Uhaul?

delekatala

Cavy Slave
So, I am making some new liners (I got a christmas fleece, woot!). I was looking on etsy and see that many creators only use one layer of uhaul. I have always used two, now I am wondering if I am overdoing it. So, anyone have the one layer liners? How do they hold up? Anyone have both, whats the preference?

delekatala

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the reply. I will try one layer and see how it goes.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I have a couple that have 2 layers of uhaul and batting too, they are lovely and thick, but like spydoc said, they do take longer to dry. I don't like to put them in the dryer either. I have a line set up on my back porch so I can air dry them there in the cooler weather. Fortunately, I can afford to wait out the drying time since I have other liners I can use.

delekatala

Cavy Slave
So far so good on the one layer one I made. Course I forgot to prewashing the fleece for the bottom so it shrunk a but and now the top is a little wrinkly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

delekatala

Cavy Slave
7514202008d06a6227db5d23b0de2327.jpg

Is it terrible? The cage isn't fully put back together yet.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc How did you make out with using the incontinence pads as your absorbent layer.
1. Do you find it easier to work with than uhaul?
2. Did you sew it between 2 layers of fleece?
3. Are you happy with the absorbency/ odor control?
4. Any shrinkage problems?
5. Overall, which method works best in your opinion?

Thanks for any input ��

delekatala

Cavy Slave
I did preshrink my uhaul, that's why I think it was the bottom layer. But who knows. If it was the uhaul thank god my other items haven't shrunk like that!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
1. Do you find it easier to work with than uhaul? No
2. Did you sew it between 2 layers of fleece? No
3. Are you happy with the absorbency/ odor control? Absorbency, yes. Odor control, not so much
4. Any shrinkage problems? Miniscule
5. Overall, which method works best in your opinion? See explanation below

I have always used fleece liners with one layer of uHaul between layers of fleece. That has been perfectly adequate for about six years until the uHaul middle began to disintegrate.....as evidenced by the liner leaking onto the pad below. The fleece is now wearing out after five years of bleach use. It's better if one doesn't use bleach in each wash to preserve the life of the fleece. That's why I only use beach about every two washes and use All's brand of oxyclean with All detergent for most washes. I can do that because all of my fleece has a dark background and doesn't stain easily.

For about three years, I used puppy pads as the absorbent layer under the liners. After we had such difficulty with Maya eating the puppy pads, I switched to incontinence pads in order to save her AND the environment. Now the incontinence pads are used UNDER the liner with the absorbent side up to catch any leaks from the liner or around the sides of it.

Here's where I order mine, although I seem to recall a cheaper source that one member told us about.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, it was very helpful :). I love those pads for play time/lap time and such, they do a really great job of containing the urine
(broken link removed) (34" x 36")
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4 (35" x 80")

The 35"x80" is easily long enough for a 2x5 main level, and one of the 34"x36" pads is plenty for the 2x2 loft. If you cut the pads, the layers will separate and it will ruin them. The trick is to calculate your desired dimensions and sew both a straight and a zig-zag stitch at your proposed new edge, and THEN cut the pad down close to that stitching.

If the pads shrink at all, it is an almost imperceptible amount, and they are durable.....which I didn't expect. I wash them in a warm water soap and bleach mixture along with all the rest of the piggy items and put them into the dryer. I never dry anything on HOT, so no worries about the plastic melting.

If I didn't answer all your questions, feel free to ask again.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Well that didn't work. Don't know why my response isn't showing, but I'll say it again here :)
[MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] Thank you so much for your detailed response, it was very helpful :). I love these pads for lap time/play time, they really do work well at containing any urine spills.

delekatala

Cavy Slave
I have a ton of those pads to use with my special needs son. Never considered them for piggies.

Oregon Rain

Cavy Slave
I have been using 1 layer of UHaul in my liners and potty pads. But am thinking of making a few potty pad,s for under the hay rack, with 2 layers of UHaul. But,yes, I am worried that they will be damp in the middle and I won't be able to tell because they'll feel dry on the outside. Hmmmm.... Have you had that problem with yours that had 2 layers?

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
I only use one layer of uhaul, that's all my sewing machine can handle! I made little mini pad for under the water bottle for extra protection since it leaks sometimes throughout the day

Attachments

IMG_0301.jpg IMG_0302.jpg

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Your piggies are adorable :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.