Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Possible Fungal Infection, Need Suggestions and Advice

jbups

Cavy Slave
Hello, recently my 3 year old guinea pig, Buddy, has been making a weird squeaking sound that sounds like he's in pain. Also, I have found a bald spot on his butt and what may appear to be a fungal infection. He has been eating, drinking, and behaving normally however his squeaking seems to indicate some pain. I included a video of the squeaking he's been making and a picture of the bald spot. It is not the best picture since he did not want to sit still, in person it looks a bit more scabby. I really appreciate any and all advice!
image1.jpg[video=youtube;7acMlYLEld4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7acMlYLEld4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Has he been scratching quite a bit? Does he have hair loss anywhere else?

That patch doesn't look like a typical fungal infection, as the skin under the hairloss looks fairly healthy, but it could still be a fungal issue. You could try applying cold pressed coconut oil to the area for a few days and see if that helps as cold pressed coconut oil does have antibiotic and antifungal properties. If the coconut oil doesn't help then you could try something else.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may be mites rather than fungus. if the coconut oil doesn't ease the itching, I'd treat him for mites.

jbups

Cavy Slave
I will try that, thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.