Thread: Recently adopted a Silkie and Texel, suggestions on how to care for long hair

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Recently adopted a Silkie and Texel, suggestions on how to care for long hair

Hi everyone!

I recently adopted a silkie guinea pig and a texel guinea pig but don't have much experience with long haired guinea pigs. Any advice or suggestions you can provide about how to trim and care for their long and curly hair would be appreciated. We have an electric hair trimmer that we received from the previous owners but neither of the girls are very fond of the sound. Thank you in advance!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts

Re: Recently adopted a Silkie and Texel, suggestions on how to care for long hair

You can brush everyday with a baby hairbrush or comb to keep tangles away. Their bum area gets dirtier than short hair breeds so sometimes that area needs to be trimmed and washed in a shallow bowl of warm water. Other than that I can't think of much difference between the long hair and short I've had I think some of it goes by preference and what you see needs to be cleaned up or trimmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. "Thank you, PotterThePiggie, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts

Re: Recently adopted a Silkie and Texel, suggestions on how to care for long hair

I always trimmed mine with small scissors and a comb because an electric trimmer always make me too nervous to use on them. Just trimmed mine so the hair didn't get too long layer by layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

I don't have any truly longhair pigs so no advice there, but I did want to say congrats on your new additions!

6. "Thank you, new2piggs, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

Long haired guinea pigs hate to be brushed, for the most part. It pulls and hurts, and is scary. It's easier on them if you keep their hair trimmed short. I use a sharp pair of hair cutting scissors. I keep my finger between the scissors and their skin, kind of like hair stylists do when they cut your hair. If they don't want to sit still for you, get another person to help.

Using fleece bedding is best for longer haired guinea pigs. Bedding like shavings or Carefresh tend to get stuck in their long hair and create mats.

8. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    536 Rec'd/425 Posts

I have a 6 month old Texel sow.

I wouldn't brush or comb a texel, it will ruin all the curl and they have thick, dense coats so it hurts them.

For grooming her I have a sharp pair hair scissors that I use to trim most of her. I also use a small electric trimmer around her private parts. She definitely doesn't enjoy it but it's the easiest way to get her all trimmed and clean. As long as I have someone helping me it doesn't take too long.

She loves to burrow in hay so she is always getting stuff stuck in her coat. I just take her out once a day and give her a feel over, remove any hay bits and make sure there aren't any mats.

10. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

@new2piggs Thank you!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

@spy9doc Thank you so much for the tips! And your pig is quite cute!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

@foggycreekcavy We have both of them on fleece bedding now. I'll definitely look for hair cutting scissors. Thanks for the tips!

User Tag List