Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat I got a New Guinea pig but my old one and him keep fighting and chutting.

LeeLeeBee16

Cavy Slave
I don't know what to do. We got a new Guinea pig yesterday but my old one appears to really dislike him. They fight each other and I have to pull them apart. My old one is being especially bold, chutting even when we move the other one to a different room and he can't even see him. I wouldn't have the heart to bring the new guy back but I can't make my old guy feel like he isn't loved anymore or that he is pushed out. What do I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You didn't introduce them properly. And you should have quarantined the new one for three weeks to make sure he didn't bring home any parasites or illnesses to your old pig.

Separate them, then read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html before you try to put them together again. Do it at a time when you've got hours to devote to it, if necessary.

Also, turn them both over and compare their private parts to make sure they're the same sex.

What size is your cage? If you've got boars, you'll need a big cage, and no cage sold in a pet shop is large enough for two pigs, much less two boars. You also need all hideys to have two doors, so one pig can't trap another.

Also, here's some recommended reading for guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

nikkimac

Cavy Slave
this happened to me when I got an older Boar from my babies that were brought home first, they where about 4 months old and the new board was 6months. I did explain that they do need to be sectioned off and all my husband heard was blah blah blah and put them straight together. What I ended up doing was giving them all a bath together with the same shampoo and cleaned out their cage completely with all washed fleece and sprayed down the cage (c&c coroplast) with water and vinegar to clean out the smell, made the cage different from before added in new toys. This worked like a charm. they still strutted around but it was a big change.. give this a try....

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
If you have unscented guinea pig shampoo you can add a drop of essential oil to help mask any lingering scents on them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.