Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Friend's Elderly Pig Possibly Pregnant?

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
I haven't been on Guinea pig cages in such a long time, now I'm back! But not for a good reason. My friend has a male elderly pig (or so we thought..) and I gave her one of my male piggies (from my Guinea pigs accidental litter) I gave him to her a while back. and today she was texting me and said she thinks her pig is a pregnant girl? Which is a huge shock to everyone cause we thought she was a he. She said she felt kicking, so I asked her to take a picture of the piggies "parts" so I could try to sex it for her, sure enough he is a she and we're 99.9 percent sure she's pregnant.

The male I gave her has been with her piggy since sometime in June (when he turned 3 weeks) and she is just now pregnant? Wouldn't she have been pregnant AND given birth already? It just doesn't add up. Everyone is worried sick because the female piggy is really old (4-7 years. Not positive cause she was a rescue) and this is her first litter (that we know of). The pigs have been separated already but it's most likely too late. She and her brother felt tons of kicks so she must be really far into the pregnancy. She can't afford to bring the female to the vet because they just had to have life saving surgery on their dog.

I need all the advice I can get. I've already sent her the "how far along is she" link because it helped me with my piggies accidental pregnancy. Please, any help is really appreciated.

ps. I can't confirm 100% that she's pregnant because I'm going to be at my dads house for 2 weeks and I fear, by then her female will have the babies. (She felt kicking so it would be really far.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your friend needs to figure out a way to get this pig to the vet for an x-ray. At that age, it's unlikely that she will be able to deliver by herself, especially if the pups are large. An x-ray will tell how many pups there are, and if they are of a size that may cause the death of the sow during labor. That x-ray is going to be a lot cheaper than an emergency spay in the middle of labor.

I'm going to get Teresa to put a crawler across these forums that says "TURN ALL PIGS OVER AND CHECK THEIR PRIVATE PARTS TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE DIFFERENT BEFORE PUTTING THEM TOGETHER. DO NOT TAKE ANYONE ELSE'S WORK FOR WHAT SEX YOUR GUINEA PIG IS." Lesson for you is, don't give away a pig without making sure that the pig on the other end is the same sex.

Edited by bpatters: SAME, not DIFFERENT. My bad!

Last edited:

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I'm going to get Teresa to put a crawler across these forums that says "TURN ALL PIGS OVER AND CHECK THEIR PRIVATE PARTS TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE DIFFERENT BEFORE PUTTING THEM TOGETHER. DO NOT TAKE ANYONE ELSE'S WORK FOR WHAT SEX YOUR GUINEA PIG IS." Lesson for you is, don't give away a pig without making sure that the pig on the other end is the same sex.

It might be time for a coffee [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] , I think you meant "TURN ALL PIGS OVER AND CHECK THEIR PRIVATE PARTS TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE THE SAME BEFORE PUTTING THEM TOGETHER. DO NOT TAKE ANYONE ELSE'S WORD FOR WHAT SEX YOUR GUINEA PIG IS."

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
LOL, [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION]. But actually, either WORD or WORK works!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@bpatters It was more the "make sure they're different" vs. "make sure they're the same" that makes the biggest difference lol

mjalred

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I read that first one and was like "do they want MORE accidental pregnancies? Because....?"

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
OK, you're right. I needed coffee on both counts!

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
Haha wow. Your all hilarious!

Update: She gave birth.
Im finally back home, and I went to my friends house to check there piggy. She was in labor. It's like she waited for me to get back to give birth, lol. She had two babies, one didn't make it. So glad she didn't need help from a vet.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad she did ok. I just want to point out that your friend got extremely lucky that her pig was able to deliver successfully. Most older sows will have complications, as do many younger ones, so please no one read this and think you will get the same result if you breed an older sow.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I'm really glad that the mother made it through okay. Very sad that one of the babies did not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.