Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Hair loss on male guinea pig, no redness or itchy!

lennypuz

Cavy Slave
Hello,

My piggie Lambchop has lost some hair on his back end. He is a very curly, coarse haired piggie and his house-mate Bob is a short hair. I don't notice any scratching at all and Lambchop is the only one with a tad of hair loss. It seems to be centered on where the hair curls out (his spirals).
Could this be a little bit of extensive barbering? His skin looks great, so I was thinking maybe they are grooming too much, or maybe I should get them some new toys to cure any boredom as we head into winter?
Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks so much!

miniver

Cavy Slave
Yes, it could be barbering. If the skin looks fine and there is no excessive scratching, I think you should wait to see if it grows back. Keep an eye on both of them in the meantime.

I have a sow that is a barbering machine. She gave her cage mate a serious bald patch on one side that took about a month to fill back in.
They have plenty of tunnels and hay to nibble on but nothing tastes better than a cage mates' fluffy bottom!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.