Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Feedings

So I've seen on other topics that guinea pig owners feed their guineas twice-daily, am I supposed to feed them twice daily or once a day, I really need to know this! Any type of information would really help, just letting anyone know that reads this I'm not starving my animals, thanks!
    Last edited by Shannon563; 10-31-16 at 10:11 am.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Feedings

As long as they have hay all the time, they'll adjust to whatever feeding schedule you prefer.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    As long as they have hay all the time, they'll adjust to whatever feeding schedule you prefer.
    Okay, I have a question.. the guinea pig owners that feed their Guineas in the morning and at night, what specifically do they feed them? Just a little curious, if you don't mind answering.

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

I had also read that people were feeding them twice a day, so that's what I started doing when I brought my two girls home two months ago (boy time flies). Then I started seeing other posts about feeding once a day. Other posts, and the most important of all, is that it should be one cup of veggies a day. So I give mine their cup in the morning and then at night, when I'm moving around the kitchen and they start up sweeking at me, I'll give them maybe a baby carrot or a grape tomato, sometimes both. But before I give them the nighttime veggie snack, I'll go to the hay box under their cage and dig out seedheads and give them those as a treat first, then some fresh hay and then the veggie snack. They are very happy piggies.

6. "Thank you, koalamissy, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

There's a food chart, with what can be fed and how often, here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...us-Plants-List

Mine get red or green leaf lettuce, a chunk of carrot and tomato, English cucumber, summer squash, belgian endive and radicchio every day, with occasional fruit as a treat.

8. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Mine get a 1/8th cup of pellets each in the morning, 1 cup of assorted veggies around noon, and an extra bell pepper slice before I go to bed along with unlimited hay, and boy do they know their schedule

Normally their veggies is a spring mix I get from the store, with bell pepper and carrot added.

10. "Thank you, GameOfCavies, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GameOfCavies View Post
    ... and boy do they know their schedule .
    So true. It's veggies at 6:05 am. Appetizer (baby carrot) at 5:30pm. Veggies at 6:15 pm. Pellets at 7 pm. Snack at 9:55 pm. How did they learn to tell time!?!
    Now I just need to explain Daylight Savings Time to them.

12. "Thank you, miniver, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Mine in the morning get carrot,radichio, slice yellow bell pepper,green leaf lettuce and Bibb lettuce now n then.cucumbers 3 times a week.at night they get a strawberry half or a few sprigs of parsley,maybe an Apple wedge.or a few blueberries And restock there hay rack also.the evening feedings are more a treat for them and they can't wait till they hear my voice they all start weeking .

14. "Thank you, mdodge, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Oh forgot about pellets in morning also 1/8 cup

16. "Thank you, mdodge, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Thank you everyone that has been commenting!! More informations always helps!

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

So true. It's veggies at 6:05 am. Appetizer (baby carrot) at 5:30pm. Veggies at 6:15 pm. Pellets at 7 pm. Snack at 9:55 pm. How did they learn to tell time!?!
    Now I just need to explain Daylight Savings Time to them.
    HAH. Nym isn't a glutton so maybe she'll accept daylight savings time, but Olena gets started up every time she hears the fridge. She and I are gonna end up in a few arguments about if breakfast is late or not. You should have heard her the day I was running late for class and so they had to wait till noon for their pellets. I got home and I am pretty sure I got cussed at in guinea pig.

19. "Thank you, GameOfCavies, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    680 Rec'd/587 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

I do feed my pigs twice daily. They get their biggest salad in the morning around 8:00. That usually consists of leaf lettuce, green peppers, radicchio, zucchini and two grape tomatoes. In the evening around 5:00 they get a smaller dish of just leaf lettuce and twice weekly a few pieces of endive. Most evenings I also give them just a little more green pepper. They only get fruit once or twice a month. Around 10:00 PM they each get a half of a vitamin C tablet and half of an Oxbow Urinary Health Supplement tablet. At that time I also give them a small sliver of a baby carrot. They really wait for their nighttime snack. They seem to know when that time comes around. Who taught them how to tell time?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    I do feed my pigs twice daily. They get their biggest salad in the morning around 8:00. That usually consists of leaf lettuce, green peppers, radicchio, zucchini and two grape tomatoes. In the evening around 5:00 they get a smaller dish of just leaf lettuce and twice weekly a few pieces of endive. Most evenings I also give them just a little more green pepper. They only get fruit once or twice a month. Around 10:00 PM they each get a half of a vitamin C tablet and half of an Oxbow Urinary Health Supplement tablet. At that time I also give them a small sliver of a baby carrot. They really wait for their nighttime snack. They seem to know when that time comes around. Who taught them how to tell time?
    Curious... What's the urinary health supplement tablet for? Like what does it help?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

How often are they suppose to get fed pellets?

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon563 View Post
    How often are they suppose to get fed pellets?
    They need an 1/8 cup a day per pig. I give mine pellets in the morning so they have all day to eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

They get 1/8 cup of pellets per day, per pig, if they're over six months old, unlimited pellets if they're under six months or are pregnant or nursing. Mine are all adults, and they get one feeding of pellets per day.

25. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

They get 1/8 cup of pellets per day, per pig, if they're over six months old, unlimited pellets if they're under six months or are pregnant or nursing. Mine are all adults, and they get one feeding of pellets per day.
    This one is better!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. "Thank you, koalamissy, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

One of my Guineas are supposedly 6 weeks old, my other Guinea is over a year

Thanks
    Thanks
    680 Rec'd/587 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

@Shannon563 the Urinary Support tablets are supposedly made to help promote urinary tract health in small animals. Whether or not they really work has not been proved. My pigs just like the taste and I feel even if they help just a little bit it is worth it. They aren't really all that expensive and since I assume they won't cause any harm I just feel better giving them to my pigs. Two of my pigs are 8 years of age and have been taking the tablets for at least 4 years and they both have never had any urinary problems. Now I realize that maybe they just aren't prone to have those problems but I have 6 pigs altogether and they all get the tablets and no urinary problems in any of them. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I tend to believe that the tablets may help somewhat.

30. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    @Shannon563 the Urinary Support tablets are supposedly made to help promote urinary tract health in small animals. Whether or not they really work has not been proved. My pigs just like the taste and I feel even if they help just a little bit it is worth it. They aren't really all that expensive and since I assume they won't cause any harm I just feel better giving them to my pigs. Two of my pigs are 8 years of age and have been taking the tablets for at least 4 years and they both have never had any urinary problems. Now I realize that maybe they just aren't prone to have those problems but I have 6 pigs altogether and they all get the tablets and no urinary problems in any of them. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I tend to believe that the tablets may help somewhat.
    Thank you for that information

User Tag List