Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Looking to buy my first 2 guinea pigs.

SableWolf

Cavy Gazer
Hello, my name is Nessa. A little over a month ago, my small dwarf hamster passed away due to illnesses from bad breeding. My family and i agree that we would like to try a different type of animal and we are interested in guinea pigs. We have done research into diet, cages, basic needs, and that they need to be paired.

My only problem currently is where to find them. I do not want to go through a pet shop because of the hamster's illnesses, but I cannot find a breeder in my area. There is one rescue, but as far as I can tell they can't sex them or tell me an age. Are there any other ways to get healthy guinea pigs that do not require petshops?

Thank-you for taking the time to read this.

I am in Manitoba, Canada.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try PetFinder. https://www.petfinder.com/pet-searc...=Guinea+Pig&filtersUpdated=false&distance=100. And I think there's a specifically Canadian site, if I remember correctly. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

If you have pet shops in your area, there will be guinea pigs available for rescue. Contact the rescues and shelters in your area, even if they seem too far away. They're usually a group of foster homes, and one of the homes may be much nearer to you than the rescue's address would indicate. They'll also sometimes meet you halfway if you ask.

SableWolf

Cavy Gazer
Try PetFinder. https://www.petfinder.com/pet-searc...=Guinea+Pig&filtersUpdated=false&distance=100. And I think there's a specifically Canadian site, if I remember correctly. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

If you have pet shops in your area, there will be guinea pigs available for rescue. Contact the rescues and shelters in your area, even if they seem too far away. They're usually a group of foster homes, and one of the homes may be much nearer to you than the rescue's address would indicate. They'll also sometimes meet you halfway if you ask.

Can a rescue be renamed?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know what you mean?

I'm sure someone could rename one, but I don't know why they would. Is there one you're not able to find?

SableWolf

Cavy Gazer
I don't know what you mean?

I'm sure someone could rename one, but I don't know why they would. Is there one you're not able to find?

The humane society hs 2 males and I was curious if I could rename them if I adopted them or if they need to keep the current names.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can change their names to anything you want. One of mine came named Dixie and I changed to Trixie. Mine all know their names, I call their names when I hand feed them veggies and they learned their names pretty quickly.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
LOL! I thought you meant that a rescue or shelter had been renamed!

Of course you can rename one. How would the rescue know? And what would they do if they did? Come get the pig? I don't think so.

2cocos

Cavy Slave
I'm in western Ontario. Your best bet is either the Humane Society or Kijiji. Our local humane society does not take small animals, but hands them over to a few local pet shops that foster them and adopt them out. So you ask them where they send their guinea pigs when they rescue them.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@2cocos - this thread is from back in October.

2cocos

Cavy Slave
LOL, I was quickly looking through the Canada threads for the first time and didn't notice the dates. Just assumed it was recent since it wasn't too deep. Sorry!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.