Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy My piggy is pregnant and I'm worried

jessemathias91

Cavy Gazer
I need help! I don't know what to do, and a little worried.
My Guinea is pregnant, but has never had babies before, she is 2 1/2 years old, and I heard that they have to get pregnant before 11 months or their pelvic bones form and they can die during pregnancy.

And what worries me is that she is also blind.

What should I do? Do I take her to the vet and stop the pregnancy? Or do I proceed to let her have the babies? Any tips? Honestly, I don't know how far along she is.:sad:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's how to tell how far along she is: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

The pelvic ligaments start stiffening at around nine months of age, and the older the pig is, the less likely the ligaments are to stretch enough to allow the pups to be born. Absolutely nothing happens to the pelvic bones.

When she's about six weeks along, you could take her to an exotic vet (don't bother with a small animal vet, they won't know anything about guinea pigs) for an x-ray. If she has several small pups, she may be able to deliver ok. If she has just one or two very large ones, she probably can't. You could decide then whether to have her spayed (spaying while pregnant is called a "gravid spay").

How did she get pregnant? Is she housed with a male?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.