Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Questions about Fleece and Smell

I have 2 questions. The first one is how can I prevent the cage from smelling after only 2-3 days. I have 2 boars. I tried leaving my window open to eliminate the smell for a week, but it only helped a little. Now, obviously since winter's on its way, I have to leave the windows closed. I also have to hand-wash the fleece, towels, and cozies. My mom is super strict about it. She'll only let me use the dryer if i take all the hairs out after the stuff is dried, but she won't let me use the washer. I tried to compromise with her but she just gets mad because she keeps saying that all the hair will get stuck and it'll get on her clothes. She also hates the idea that i would be putting “pooped-on blankets with pee”. So i wash everything once a week myself. (By the way, the cage is a 3X6 c and c cage with 1X3 of it a hay room, if that matters. I clean out the hay room every other day. The hay room is literally the only thing that prevents them from pooping on the fleece that much. If it weren't for the hay area, poops would be everywhere!) But it still smells and my mom gets upset about it. She gets so mad when she walks into my room. “It STINKS in here! How can you live like this!” If you have any tips I would greatly appreciate them.My secind question is: Is putting baking soda under the fleece a good idea? I recently saw several youtube videos about it. Completely ditching the towels, people shook baking soda on the cage, and then put fleece over it. They all said it works great, apparently it doesn't smell at all even after 9 days. But can't the pigs get to the baking soda and eat/lick it? Isn't it dangerous? Personally, my piggies sometimes dig under the fleece. Just wanted to know what some of you think before actually doing it.Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Re: Questions about Fleece and Smell

I wouldn't try putting baking soda underneath.

not it sure if I'm right but I feel like "real" linear stink less than towels since they dry faster, but I might be imagining it.

Would tour our mom maybe let you use the washer if you got one of those bags to protect the washer? https://www.amazon.com/Moorland-Ride...et+laundry+bag I know sugarspicepiggies did a review on this type of bag.

You could try putting carefresh under the fleece but I Imagine it could get expensive.
    If the smell is stuck in the room I recommend washing your carpet, it holds smell. Also try white vinegar on the cage itself.

3. "Thank you, Saylavi, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,102 Rec'd/5,647 Posts
    Mentioned
    1997 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3686 Post(s)

Wood pellets are the absolute best at keeping the odor down. And you only have to wash fleece, not liners.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,336 Rec'd/1,697 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

Yes, try wood pellets under fleece.
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...f-wood-pellets

Uhaul pads also work better than towels. You could try uhaul pads under fleece, and wood pellets in the hay room.
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...-UHaul-blanket

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saylavi View Post
    Would tour our mom maybe let you use the washer if you got one of those bags to protect the washer? https://www.amazon.com/Moorland-Ride...et+laundry+bag
    Thanks for sharing this link!!! I had no idea, but will definitely be getting one to protect my own clothes. Never thought about it, but I have a hand-me-down washer and dryer that I got for free and would not want to do anything to clog them at this point. I'm going to go order one right now. Thanks again!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

do you have u haul liners under the fleece? the fleece wicks the urine but there has to be a place for it to absorb to. They are basically furniture pads that u haul sells, about $15 a piece and one would probably be enough, you just have to cut to the size of the cage. I have 2 layers under the fleece and I almost never smell urine and I have 5 pigs

good luck

Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lissie View Post
    Yes, try wood pellets under fleece. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...f-wood-pelletsUhaul pads also work better than towels. You could try uhaul pads under fleece, and wood pellets in the hay room.https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...-UHaul-blanket
    Sounds like a good idea but I'm a bit worried that the pigs will try to eat some of the wood pellets if I only use them for the hay room. The hay room is literally just a box made of coroplast and a lot of hay that I replace/clean out every other day. If the pigs decide to eat the wood pellets, would that be bad?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,102 Rec'd/5,647 Posts
    Mentioned
    1997 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3686 Post(s)

They'll sample the pellets, but they won't eat them.

10. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List