Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Stinky fleece

ArrowRaptor

Cavy Slave
I have been changing Micky's cage every two-three days Wednesday and Sunday but it never seems to smell any better the next day. We wash both the fleece and towels we use under the fleece then and I spot clean the fleece every morning. Is there something we are doing wrong?

lissie

Cavy Slave
How big is the cage? Is the fleece allowing the urine to pass through to the towels underneath? The top of the fleece should stay dry.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, what are you using to wash the fleece? It's indestructible, so you can use hot water, strong detergent and bleach. Just rinse very well before putting it back in the cage.

wall_e

Cavy Slave
We spot clean the cage with a lil dawn dish soap or a kid safe cleaner.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't spot cleaning will do much. You need to get the fleece into the washer with hot water and strong cleaning agents.

But if your cage is small, fleece just isn't going to work well. The bigger the cage, the better fleece performs.

lissie

Cavy Slave
From your avatar, looks like you have a pet store cage. You might need to change the fleece at least twice a day, and see if that helps.

missyannie

Cavy Slave
I have rats and ferrets that use fleece. Have you smelled the fleece directly out of the dryer? Does it smell fresh or sell slightly smelly? For a long time, mine are always coming out not smelling washed. Using a stronger detergent, hot water and vinegar works good for me now.
If it smells fresh than soak the cage bottom in vinegar and water and rinse really well because it has to be the cage.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.