Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General recomendation for good vacuum for getting up hay

sherri86

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have a Dyson canister vacuum and it is a pain to get around an also surprisingly does not get the hay up very well. Has anyone had good luck with any other vacuum Dyson or otherwise to get up the hay off of a wood floor?

thank you for your help
Sherri

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
Personal Opinion: Pick up the hay first, then vacuum- I have a shop vac that I clean my cages with and that too does not pick up hay well.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I use a good old fashion broom. Works great on hay, on hardwood floors and on carpet. :)

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have a few vacuums that I use, first I have a kenmore canister that has a separate floor head for hardwood floors which works great at getting hay and everything off my floors even the carpet head works great on my carpets but then I also have a dirt devil simply stick 2 in 1 and a Black and decker handheld flex.

The dirt devil is corded but I use to spot clean the wood floors and gets the hay up pretty good I can also take off the floor head and handle and it turns into a hand vac that at times I can use to clean up the poop in my cages and does a good job but not so good getting all the hay unstuck from the fleece. This dirt devil: Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Bagless Stick Vacuum - Corded https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KCO96C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xUp.xbXHE6VQ9

My black and decker is just a hand vac but I do have an attachment for the floors that I paid $20 for on Amazon and it does a great job on the floors, carpets and inside the cages. It does get clogged easy with the hay so if the cages have a lot on the ground I usually use a small dustpan and brush to get that up first but can and will suck up hay just make sure it's not too much. This is the black and decker: Stanley Black & Decker FHV1200W Cordless Mini Canister Vac https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FQJW4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wZp.xb6M55SGA

And this is the floor attachment I got for it: Black & Decker BDH200FVFH Flex Vac Pivoting Floor Head (broken link removed)

I hope this helps!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
When I used fleece, I used a small hand held broom but that was with flippers. When I used just sheets of fleece I beat the fleece against a fence.

sherri86

Cavy Slave
thank you everyone for your suggestions, I do sweep as much as I can but can't always get everything. I will try the Bissell sweeper.. and see what happens :)

EdwardMorrison

Cavy Gazer
I need a good vacuum for 75% hardwood and 25% delicate rugs. The rugs were a gift. All I know is that they were ridiculously expensive, and if I destroy/damage them, there'll be hell to pay. If I had to guess, they're some kind of wool woven in a relatively tight pattern. One of them is also an oriental rug of some kind, but I'm told it was less ridiculously expensive.

The other issue is that we have two dogs that shed a fair amount, so I want a beater brush to get the pet hair out of the rugs. I've played with a a few Dysons- the bristles on some of them are really stiff. One of their newer super compact models (DC50) has a brushroll with alternating rows of soft and stiff bristles. I think the soft row is almost perfect (could be a tiny bit less soft). I'd consider buying it and trimming the rough bristles down, but reviewers ream it for being underpowered and the cleaning head is a little narrow.

Anyway, I've searched the forums and google, and I haven't been able to identify a clear winner for a vacuum that fits this usage model. The Wirecutter recommends Miele Dynamic U1 Twist, while Get Cleaning Done recommends a vacuum that's supposed to be specifically good for hardwood floors, Shark Navigator Lift-Away. What do you think about these two options?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.