Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Talking Nemo The ESA Guinea Pig

Some of you may remember Nemo a month or so back as he is on Metacam long term now as he has permanent leg damage after contracting bumblefoot as a baby. He has gotten soo so so much better. Way happier than I've ever seen him.

But after a lot of recent stress and my mental health problems arising again. I needed a friend. Nemo has always been a huge comfort to me. To some it may sound a bit far fetched but I feel that he does understand I'm sad due to the pheromones in sweat and tears when upset. And actively tries to make me feel better. He loves to lick my nose when I'm sad and do funny things like stick his legs off the side of the pet bed.

Ive had depression, anxiety, and panic disorder as long as I can remember. Only in the past year I've taken more steps to recover such as getting medication and actually getting into pets to comfort me. And I've also found out about ESAs or Emotional Support Animals. I knew Nemo would be perfect. Long definition short an ESA is a service animal to make you feel better. And the government is required to allow you to be in houses and such that don't normally allow animals and in the cabin of planes for no extra animal shipping charge.

I didn't take this decision lightly and I thought out my plans for when I do take him out in public and how he'll eat and stay healthy. I'll skip the paragraphs of explaining but he won't be accompanying me everywhere obviously, but will be going with me to therapy and physiologist appointments. Or just some short outings that might stress me out.

I'm really excited, I enjoy seeing others enjoy being around the pigs and I am a lot happier when I am around them.

Anyway wanted to share this since I haven't ever ever seen an ESA guinea pig and if anyone else may be thinking about making their guinea pig an ESA that you're not alone. It's a lot of things to consider but once it's all figured out you will be very happy with the situation.

2. "Thank you, Mickeys Piggies, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Re: Nemo The ESA Guinea Pig

Good for you! Most animals have a knack for easing anxiety and stress, I'm glad you will have the extra comfort of Nemo's company in tough situations.

4. "Thank you, lisa325, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Bravo and good for you!!! Animals are amazingly supportive. I used to have a cat many years ago that knew when I was upset. She would jump on my lap if I were crying and head butt me until I would start petting her and then I would laugh realizing what she was doing and as soon as she heard me laugh, she would jump down. She was a trip!!! I'm so glad you have Nemo to help you through the rough times!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

That is fantastic. I have been seeing a lot of different animals acting as ESAs recently and I think it is great. I have never seen a guinea pig one, but it is amazing that Nemo is representing. You have a very sweet pig!

Let us know how it goes. I imagine that if you take him out in public once and a while, people might be quite intrigued and interested! What do you have to do to register him as an ESA? Is it a doctor's note or do you need to do something more to make him official?

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nikdarg View Post
    That is fantastic. I have been seeing a lot of different animals acting as ESAs recently and I think it is great. I have never seen a guinea pig one, but it is amazing that Nemo is representing. You have a very sweet pig!

Let us know how it goes. I imagine that if you take him out in public once and a while, people might be quite intrigued and interested! What do you have to do to register him as an ESA? Is it a doctor's note or do you need to do something more to make him official?
    There isn't really much of a registry but you do have to get a doctors note. There are a lot fake registries that charge you to register but there is actually no official one. Although many people advise getting an "ID" so people understand more.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Mickeys Piggies;976673]There isn't really much of a registry but you do have to get a doctors note. There are a lot fake registries that charge you to register but there is actually no official one. Although many people advise getting an "ID" so people understand more.]

https://www.nsarco.com/register-your-animal.html
    This site looks legit, have you checked it out? I was curious because of my work situation at Walmart where people feel they have the right to bring their dogs into the store so they don't get in trouble for leaving them in a hot car. I figure if I have more knowledge about it, maybe I could actually help someone who really needs it or have people leave their dogs at home when they grocery shop. If you look at the picture, there is a piggy on the right side!!! Sweet!!!!

User Tag List