Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores How to make a change

Meganii

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, as most of you know pet stores (Specifically Petco, Petsmart) are notorious on here for keeping guinea pigs inhumaneley, selling improper cages, food etc, so all I ask from anyone reading this is the next time (If you go there) you are in a petco or petsmart tell the workers what you think, if enough people are complaining maybe they might consider changing, at least that's a step in the right direction.

Just a week ago I was in Petco for the first time (I never knew we had them in Ireland) Just looking around when I noticed a pretty decently sized guinea pig crammed in a tiny hamster ball! he was shut in there with very little ventilation, and not to mention that his cage was shared with a huge rabbit (no guinea pig friends at all) with no hay, just bedding and not even a single tunnel, at the time I was in such a hurry that I physically did not have the time to tell the worker but next time I'm in there I'm gonna give the worker a piece of my mind, and if they shrug it off, I will be speaking with a manager about the awful conditions, not to mention informing them on Facebook.

So anyone, next time you see something that you don't agree with speak up! Make our voices herd! (get it, guinea pig herd) (Bad dum tiss)

Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Skip talking to the worker and go straight to the manager. The worker is only following instructions, and the manager helps set the policies. In fact, I'd go back, and soon, and tell them how dangerous those balls are for guinea pig backs.

nikdarg

Cavy Slave
Agreed. I did this at a Petco in my area when I saw that they were having a special on a "guinea pig starter kit" that included a ball. They removed it from the deal, thank god. Just talking to people reasonably can get something as small as that changed and together, maybe we can encourage big changes as well.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I went to a non big chain pet store and they had this, maybe 15 square foot glass cage with 20 rabbits inside. What ticked me off the most is in between this HUGE rabbit they put a hamster. A HAMSTER!!! Poor thing must have been terrified. I complained to a worker and she shrugged it off and said that the hamster was perfectly safe in the cage with the huge rabbit. I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!!!

vaculatestar

Cavy Slave
I went to a non big chain pet store and they had this, maybe 15 square foot glass cage with 20 rabbits inside. What ticked me off the most is in between this HUGE rabbit they put a hamster. A HAMSTER!!! Poor thing must have been terrified. I complained to a worker and she shrugged it off and said that the hamster was perfectly safe in the cage with the huge rabbit. I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!!!

That's highly inhumane. At the very least my local PetCo keeps the species (and genders) separate, even if the living quarters are to small.

nikdarg

Cavy Slave

Wow, that's terrible. I wouldn't give that store your business. I would also write a review on Yelp or Facebook or something. Anything to get the word out there to make that sort of thing stop. It is unacceptable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.