Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to make a change

Hello everyone, as most of you know pet stores (Specifically Petco, Petsmart) are notorious on here for keeping guinea pigs inhumaneley, selling improper cages, food etc, so all I ask from anyone reading this is the next time (If you go there) you are in a petco or petsmart tell the workers what you think, if enough people are complaining maybe they might consider changing, at least that's a step in the right direction.

Just a week ago I was in Petco for the first time (I never knew we had them in Ireland) Just looking around when I noticed a pretty decently sized guinea pig crammed in a tiny hamster ball! he was shut in there with very little ventilation, and not to mention that his cage was shared with a huge rabbit (no guinea pig friends at all) with no hay, just bedding and not even a single tunnel, at the time I was in such a hurry that I physically did not have the time to tell the worker but next time I'm in there I'm gonna give the worker a piece of my mind, and if they shrug it off, I will be speaking with a manager about the awful conditions, not to mention informing them on Facebook.

So anyone, next time you see something that you don't agree with speak up! Make our voices herd! (get it, guinea pig herd) (Bad dum tiss)

Thanks.

2. "Thank you, Meganii, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,016 Rec'd/5,570 Posts
    Mentioned
    1976 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3621 Post(s)

Re: How to make a change

Skip talking to the worker and go straight to the manager. The worker is only following instructions, and the manager helps set the policies. In fact, I'd go back, and soon, and tell them how dangerous those balls are for guinea pig backs.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Agreed. I did this at a Petco in my area when I saw that they were having a special on a "guinea pig starter kit" that included a ball. They removed it from the deal, thank god. Just talking to people reasonably can get something as small as that changed and together, maybe we can encourage big changes as well.

6. "Thank you, nikdarg, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

I went to a non big chain pet store and they had this, maybe 15 square foot glass cage with 20 rabbits inside. What ticked me off the most is in between this HUGE rabbit they put a hamster. A HAMSTER!!! Poor thing must have been terrified. I complained to a worker and she shrugged it off and said that the hamster was perfectly safe in the cage with the huge rabbit. I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!!!

8. "Thank you, DroidGuineaPig, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DroidGuineaPig View Post
    I went to a non big chain pet store and they had this, maybe 15 square foot glass cage with 20 rabbits inside. What ticked me off the most is in between this HUGE rabbit they put a hamster. A HAMSTER!!! Poor thing must have been terrified. I complained to a worker and she shrugged it off and said that the hamster was perfectly safe in the cage with the huge rabbit. I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!!!
    That's highly inhumane. At the very least my local PetCo keeps the species (and genders) separate, even if the living quarters are to small.

10. "Thank you, vaculatestar, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DroidGuineaPig View Post

Wow, that's terrible. I wouldn't give that store your business. I would also write a review on Yelp or Facebook or something. Anything to get the word out there to make that sort of thing stop. It is unacceptable.

12. "Thank you, nikdarg, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List