Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Not sure I have a choice but to buy from petco

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
With the recent death of one of my guinea pigs, I am left with a female who is used to having a cage mage who suddenly does not. And I know that's something that's healthy for her. So I want to get her a cage mate. However, there are no available piggies near me. I live in a small town in northern Wyoming. The closest craigslist add with a guinea pig is three hours away, not a trip I can make. I've checked petfinder, but the closest ones on there are in Colorado. My current pigs are both from a FB group where people sell things. I checked that, and the only ones on there are males (unfixed).

So I'm left with a bit of a problem. My choices are the local petco, wait for a female who needs a home, or just let Olena be alone.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
You can also try posting a Seeking ad on Craigslist, so anyone who's planning to list their sow will go directly to you.

EDIT: Or you could neuter a male. It's much less risky than buying from Petco.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Alright. I'm not sure I have a vet who can neuter one here though. Again, this is a small town. I'm not sure if it would take special equipment to work on an animal that small? The closest larger town is in Montana in a city two hours away...yeah it's kind of hard being out in the middle of nowhere.

Is there anything I should be watching out for in Olena? Signs of depression/extra fear? She's eating well. Ate a full cup of zucchini and romaine lettuce yesterday and happily munched on the leftover zuchinni today.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Pet Co does have an adoption program as well. You could ask if anyone has surrendered a pig to them. That's how I got two of mine.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
If you find a small animal rescue in that big city 2 hours away (Google small animal rescue, guinea pig rescue, cavy rescue, rabbit rescue) they'll usually either meet you halfway or have one of their foster parents drive your animal to you.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Already checked. :(

it's not really a big city. it's big for out here, which means 100,000 people. Most of the rescues we have out here are for livestock animals or we have one for working dogs in town. But I haven't been able to even find one in Wyoming or Montana. Just far off shelters that might have one animal but they can't exactly drive out.

I'm keeping an eye on the facebook group, which does cover a lot of the county, but no luck yet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If there's a pet store in town, there'll be guinea pigs for adoption. Advertise in the paper. Post a flyer at vet clinics. If there's a rat or ferret or other small furry group, tell them you're looking. A pig will turn up that needs a home.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Yeah I've seen a lot on the site but a lot of them are advertised as males. I've seen one female but they want $100 for her. Might see if they'll be willing to take less. A lot of it is just a waiting game.

edit: I've also seen male/female pairs but the sellers insist they go together and I don't have space for three

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.