Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Not sure I have a choice but to buy from petco

With the recent death of one of my guinea pigs, I am left with a female who is used to having a cage mage who suddenly does not. And I know that's something that's healthy for her. So I want to get her a cage mate. However, there are no available piggies near me. I live in a small town in northern Wyoming. The closest craigslist add with a guinea pig is three hours away, not a trip I can make. I've checked petfinder, but the closest ones on there are in Colorado. My current pigs are both from a FB group where people sell things. I checked that, and the only ones on there are males (unfixed).

So I'm left with a bit of a problem. My choices are the local petco, wait for a female who needs a home, or just let Olena be alone.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    857 Rec'd/690 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Re: Not sure I have a choice but to buy from petco

I would wait. If there are males in the Facebook group, it can't be too long before a female pops up. Keep checking the other sources in the meantime.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    200 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

You can also try posting a Seeking ad on Craigslist, so anyone who's planning to list their sow will go directly to you.

EDIT: Or you could neuter a male. It's much less risky than buying from Petco.

4. "Thank you, jaycriae, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Alright. I'm not sure I have a vet who can neuter one here though. Again, this is a small town. I'm not sure if it would take special equipment to work on an animal that small? The closest larger town is in Montana in a city two hours away...yeah it's kind of hard being out in the middle of nowhere.

Is there anything I should be watching out for in Olena? Signs of depression/extra fear? She's eating well. Ate a full cup of zucchini and romaine lettuce yesterday and happily munched on the leftover zuchinni today.

Thanks
    Thanks
    212 Rec'd/176 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Pet Co does have an adoption program as well. You could ask if anyone has surrendered a pig to them. That's how I got two of mine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/93 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

If you find a small animal rescue in that big city 2 hours away (Google small animal rescue, guinea pig rescue, cavy rescue, rabbit rescue) they'll usually either meet you halfway or have one of their foster parents drive your animal to you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Already checked.

it's not really a big city. it's big for out here, which means 100,000 people. Most of the rescues we have out here are for livestock animals or we have one for working dogs in town. But I haven't been able to even find one in Wyoming or Montana. Just far off shelters that might have one animal but they can't exactly drive out.

I'm keeping an eye on the facebook group, which does cover a lot of the county, but no luck yet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,729 Rec'd/5,318 Posts
    Mentioned
    1930 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3387 Post(s)

If there's a pet store in town, there'll be guinea pigs for adoption. Advertise in the paper. Post a flyer at vet clinics. If there's a rat or ferret or other small furry group, tell them you're looking. A pig will turn up that needs a home.

10. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Yeah I've seen a lot on the site but a lot of them are advertised as males. I've seen one female but they want $100 for her. Might see if they'll be willing to take less. A lot of it is just a waiting game.

edit: I've also seen male/female pairs but the sellers insist they go together and I don't have space for three

User Tag List