Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor Is this a tumor ?

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
I have a new guinea pig by the name of "Nike ". She should be around 4-5 yrs old but I'll contact the previous owner to make sure. She's also very large but I haven't figured out how to tell/measure/ask/look into how to know if she's overweight or just very big.

She has not been to the vet yet.

While she is in quarantine I noticed a crust on her hand. At first I thought it,was poop but I had trouble taking it off and I'm afraid of pulling too hard lest it turn out that it's part of Nikes hand. What's more, I think she's had it for a while, but I can't be sure. The bump appears on the side,of her hand and wraps around to the padded front.

Here are some pics. I can get more if needed.( Please tell me if that would help and what would be the best shot/angle to get)
Can you tell what it is? And how should I address the situation? (As in, hurry to vet, take my time etc) . Thanks for your interest.

(The "tumor" is located above my middle finger in the photos)

Attachments

2016-09-30 17.43.51.jpg 20160929_235304.jpg 20160929_235313.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It is a bit hard to tell in the photos as this fur and the thing in question are both black, but it looks like it could be a spur. https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

Here is an image I got from google that shows a more advanced spur. Some of mine have spurs but as I trim them when I trim the nails they don't look like that.
images

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Oh wow. Yeh, I think that fits the bill. Never heard of "spurs" before. Thanks so much for the reply.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.