Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Subcue injection .. With water ?

KupoPiggie

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone ! My 9 week old male Abyssinian was diagnosed yesterday with a URI and possibly pneumonia . The vet gave him an injection of water to ensure his hydration , and sent me home with two huge syringes of water to inject myself . Of course I'm a bit nervous and started to google for tips . Most of my Gp questions on google take me to a site called Guinea Linx . Have any of you heard of it ? Is it reputable ? I ask because on that site it said that injecting sterile water into a Gp could be detrimental because the water can't mix properly with their internal liquids (or something along those lines) . The vet also said that injecting the water wasn't completely necessary , just recommended . Should I skip the water injections and stick to the oral antibiotics ?? I was almost mentally prepared for these injections until I read on Guinea linx that it could be detrimental !!

Advice?? ):

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Guinea lynx is a good site much of the advice you'll receive here will refers you to certain links there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, they didn't inject him with water. Or, if they did, they should be sued. Sterile saline is used, often with additional electrolytes.

I think I already answered you at GL.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
I think he meant saline like @bpatters said. And guinea lynx is basically the cavy bible. I would give him a call if you are still unsure. Let anyone else know if you have more questions ☺

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.