Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Looking for best prices on supplies, any suggestions?

WeePigs3

Cavy Slave
Hi, I use a combination of fleece and bedding depending on the cage area and if I have a friend caring for them or not. I use Oxbow pellets and hay but I'm open to other quality,piggy approved products. I'm not very familiar with posting, this is my first. Not even sure this is in the right forum,lol. Thought it would be nice to have an ongoing thread with tips of sales we find or low prices. Is there a thread already in place with reviews of cozy and liner makers? I didn't find one or know if it would be allowed. I appreciate a bargain but would never sacrifice quality for my piggies. Thanks in advance for any help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I'm not sure an ongoing thread would be of much help, because prices and brands vary widely all over the country. People usually just post information if they find a good deal on hay, fleece, whatever.

The cheapest bedding you can use is wood pellets -- about $7-$8 for a 40 pound bag, which will last for weeks. It's the absolute best at odor control. You just have to be sure that there's no accelerant added (if it's stove pellets), or doesn't have a strong pine odor.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
The liners commonly sold on Etsy, Ebay, and such, are kind of pricey. You could have a go at making your own, I sew my own with u-haul as the absorbent layer between two pieces of fleece.
Check out YouTube to see how to make cage liners.
Ditto bpatters, I use wood pellets under fleece in the kitchen area of the cage, best combo EVER!, very cheap and very effective. It was bpatters I got the idea from, cheers for that :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.