Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Warning about new formulation of bactrim (smz-tmp, septra, and others)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If your pig is prescribed Bactrim (also known as SMZ-TMP, Septra, Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim), it has a new formulation, and at least two prescribing errors have occurred at vets' offices.

The old formulation was 240 mg/5 ml, or 48 mg/ml. The new formulation is 400 mg/ml, which is nearly TEN times as strong, and can result in a massive overdose to your pig. The old formulation is pink, the new one is goldish-beige.

If your pig is prescribed Bactrim, DO NOT LEAVE THE VET'S OFFICE without being sure that the dose that has been prescribed matches the strength of the medication.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the warning, good to know!

Kensium

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! If I hadn't seen this, my boar could have OD'd!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Could you do me a favor? If your pig has been prescribed this stuff, could you call the vet and ask where they got it? And maybe get us a picture of the label as it comes from the company?

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.