Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Normal weight?

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Hello cavy slaves,

One of my sows is a little bit under 700 grams. She's a little bit over 1 year old, really active, runs laps and popcorns like crazy. She eats normal. Fresh veggies every day, 1/8 cup of pellets a day and unlimited hay. I took her to the vet for a health check and vet said she's completely healthy. Is this normal? She's an american guinea pig. Her bff (Agouti) is 970 grams, but not as crazy as my little one.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Hello cavy slaves,

One of my sows is a little bit under 700 grams. She's a little bit over 1 year old, really active, runs laps and popcorns like crazy. She eats normal. Fresh veggies every day, 1/8 cup of pellets a day and unlimited hay. I took her to the vet for a health check and vet said she's completely healthy. Is this normal? She's an american guinea pig. Her bff (Agouti) is 970 grams, but not as crazy as my little one.
I'm sure you she is just naturally small, what do you feed her?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Nannub

Cavy Slave
She eats 1/8 cup of pellets (Oxbow Cavy Cuisine), Red or Green leaf lettuce, 1 grape tomato, bell pepper and a carrot a day. Unlimited orchard grass hay and water. Should I be giving them more veggies daily?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are no more all the same size than people are all the same size. If her weight is steady or gaining and she's not losing, and she's active and eating/pooping/drinking/peeing well, I wouldn't worry.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are no more all the same size than people are all the same size. If her weight is steady or gaining and she's not losing, and she's active and eating/pooping/drinking/peeing well, I wouldn't worry.
Yeah bpatters is right, as long as her weight is stead and she seems normal, no cause for concern ☺

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

lisa325

Cavy Slave
My guys are 8 1/2 months old and they couldn't be more different as regards size. Mario is 1092 grams, Luigi 792 grams. I used to worry about Luigi but like bpatters says, they're not all gonna be the same shape and weight. I don't stress anymore as they're both healthy, happy, and active . :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.