Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Reviewing diet for 2 young guinea pigs

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted a new baby Guineas pig(he's only 3 months old, named Bert 😍) and I was just wondering if the diet I currently feed my other 6 month old Guinea pig (Patrick) is the right diet for him. Currently Bert and Patrick both get a bowl of a handful of chopped bell peppers, 2 baby carrots, and a handful of fresh kale from the garden. There is also a small bowl that holds 1/4 of a cup filled with oxbow young Guinea pig food. Is my setup ok? Any suggestions?

Attachments

IMG_1608.jpg IMG_1617.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The younger one needs unlimited pellets, and it won't hurt the older one to have them for a couple of months. But kale is extremely high in calcium, which can contribute to bladder stones, so I wouldn't feed that to the older one, or even to the younger one on a regular basis. You can switch them to red or green leaf lettuce.

The cage isn't big enough for two boars. You're going to have dominance struggles soon if you don't already.

If you're new to guinea pigs, here's some recommended reading material:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the information. Unfortunately, the only place in the house with enough room for such a big cage is downstairs on a table. The table has about another foot of space at the end, but that's it. Can you recommend another cage type besides C&C?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any kind of cage with a waterproof bottom will work, but C&C's are cheap, easy to make, and infinitely remodelable. Is there some reason you don't want one?

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
I suck at building things with plastic XD, so I was hoping to avoid a C&C cage if possible, which is proving to be very problematic. It's cheaper to make your own cage rather than buy it premade though when it comes to C&C. Only thing is, I'm having a devil of a time finding the wire panels for the sides. Any suggestions on where to find cage components?

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the info. My mother refuses to buy or build a bigger cage at all, and you have no idea how much bullcrap I had to make up before she would allow ME to build them a new cage when bert gets to be 6 months old. On the plus side, one sheet of 4x8' coroplast purchased, along with rivets and storage cube grids for walls. So I have everything I need to make a bigger cage in 3 months XD. I also purchased a second food bowl and pellet bowl, so now each Guinea has their own 2 bowls. The only thing left is a hay holder. I currently use a cardboard tube I stuff with hay, but the hole I cut is too small for 2 Guineas at the same time, and I'll break the tube if I make the opening any bigger. Any ideas?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You might point out to your mom that boars are particularly aggressive in small cages, and that she may be trading three months of time for expensive vet bills for ripped ears, slashed faces, abscesses, etc. Seems like a false economy to me.

If it's cost she's worried about, you can build one very cheaply (see the Main tab at the top of this page, as well as this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials. It's an election year, so political signs, which are usually made of coroplast, are everywhere. You can get a box of grids for less than $25, or you might be able to find them even cheaper on Craigslist.

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
Most of the signs I see are very small, but I get what you're saying. Also, not saying you're wrong, far from it, but my 2 babies get along quite well I think. No fights or anything after the first day. No space disputes, no eating disputes, no nothing. I already bought the supplies anyway XD, I'm literally just waiting for her permission to build it. Any ideas on where to get a hay holder or dispenser? That's all that's left for me to find.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just keep a very close eye on them, and give them a space to run if you can. In three months, you'll have two boars in the full throes of puberty, and it will be a miracle if they don't injure each other in that small cage.

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
I know, I know. I'll do what I can so she lets me build the new cage sooner.

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
AWESOMENESS. Storage cubes for use as wall grids and a new hay dispenser are on order from Amazon. Going to Home Depot tomorrow to pickup a sheet of coroplast. Any tips on folding the coroplast to make the base properly?

Nannub

Cavy Slave
AWESOMENESS. Storage cubes for use as wall grids and a new hay dispenser are on order from Amazon. Going to Home Depot tomorrow to pickup a sheet of coroplast. Any tips on folding the coroplast to make the base properly?
skinnypigs1 has a tutorial on how to cut coroplast on her YouTube channel!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's also information on the Main tab at the top of this page.

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
Will a 2x4 cage work? The table the cage is on won't fit a longer or wider cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll need a bigger cage for two boars. But you could put a larger piece of wood on top of the table and secure it and put the cage on that. My cage bottom is made out of closet shelving, and the table supporting it isn't nearly as long or wide as the table.

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
I will try that and see if it works for the space the table occupies. If not, I'm still making the bigger cage. Maybe I can add a second level if things get too dicey down below. Thank you for all your help. You are very wise ^_^

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Second levels don't help much. Guinea pigs need room to run, and a second level doesn't accomplish that. Besides, the ramp just gives them an opportunity for squabbles.

Omnytrix

Cavy Slave
IMG_1727.jpgIMG_1732.jpgThey currently have a coroplast base that completely takes up the 72 by 30 table, with the wire grids stapled to the sides of the table. The inside of the base is lined with a moving blanket, then a layer of grey fleece. They also have a coroplast kitchen with a hay rack and water bottle.

Attachments

IMG_1726.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.