Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips eating wood pellets?

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,

So I have one of my guinea pigs living with wood pellets covered by fleece. Every now and then, I come home and find that parts of the fleece are turned over and pellets strewn about a little. Not a real issue as I just tidy it up a bit.

However, occasionally I'll see him digging through the fleece and not just putting the pellets in his mouth, but actually chewing on them.

Is this something to be concerned about? i guess my main worry is that the wood is bad for him to digest. And also, splinters in the mouth.

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My pellets don't splinter, they just crumble into sawdust. If you crush one, does it splinter?

Mine have all sampled the pellets, but none have done any serious eating of them.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
thanks for the quick response!

it definitely crumbles in my hand as i crush them.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Yeah, he definitely digs them up. I don't think he's eating them, but he's definitely at least chewing them into sawdust. Maybe he's bored. I'll get him some toys.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Just last night I caught one of my girls digging under the fleece. I thought she was eating the wood pellets. Nope. She was digging for poop. They occasionally poop in the gap between the fleece and the cage wall, if a gap opens up. She dug out the poop and gobbled it up. It must have been a really good one! I'm going to keep watching and see if this is a habit she's developed.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
lol @ "It must have been a really good one"
My guys have wood pellets/ fleece in their kitchen area. I absolutely love the combination, and thank goodness they have never shown any interest in digging under the fleece. Good luck with the toy distraction, I hope it works out for you. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.