Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Rescued piggy seems... off?

thetara

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

Around 2 weeks ago I rescued 2 piggies from a lady who didn't know how to care for them. (Not being catty- her words)

When I got them their nails were so long that they were spiraling... Also their fur was matted.

I took them home cut their nails and brushed them out and cut the matted pieces of hair... They seemed happy... But very skittish and shy. over time Winnie (yes, Winnie the guinea) has become more vocal and really loves his cucumber! However- Oreo (guess his colors ) Seems like his neck is weak? Off balance? My husband said he thought he was blind because he does this thing with his neck where he looks up and it looks like his neck is weak and "gives out"? He's a sweet boy and always let's you pick him up and hold him... I guess I'm wondering should I take him to the vet? Or is he just wonderfully different?

The lady from which I received the babies said she believes they were about 2 years old.

Advice?

Sorry this was much longer than I intended for it to be. It was my first post ever here... Had to give some back story.

Thank you!

Attachments

IMG_20160908_184315.jpg
Last edited:

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Awwww, they look so content together. I see the light from the flash reflected in his eyes, so I don't know for sure, but I don't think that would happen if he was blind. Maybe he is just quirky, but I'm sure a more knowledgeable poster will come along soon to advise you.

thetara

Cavy Gazer
Hey!
Thanks so much for replying! The piggie with the reflection in his eye is Winnie(the all black one) Oreo is the one that my husband said he thought was blind. But he's no expert... We honestly don't know.

I think they're happy together too! I love them!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would take him for a vet check up. But you'll need an exotic vet, not a small animal (dog and cat) vet. They not educated or trained in the care of exotic animals.

The issue with his neck could be a version of torticollis, or "wry neck," which can be caused by things such as genetics, injury, infection in various places, etc. (You can google it, but most of what you'll find pertains to humans.) It could be the aftermath of an untreated ear infection, which can cause head tilts. It could be a neurological problem.

It probably can't be fixed, but there's the possibility that it's painful, and the pain could be treated. Or there may be some residual infection which needs an antibiotic. And since you say his neck seems weak, I'd want a chest x-ray to see if there's a possibility of heart disease.

Thank you for taking him in and caring for him. Do let us know what you decide, and how he gets along.

If you're new to guinea pigs, here's some suggested reading:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Welcome to the forum!

thetara

Cavy Gazer
Thank you very much for replying! I'll look into an exotic pet vet! Thank you!

We had our last guinea for 6 years before he passed away on Christmas morning last year.
First time encountering this with a piggie tho! Off to Google exotic pet vets in my area! Thank you again!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Oops!! Maybe I need my eyes checking, I got the piggies mixed up....sorry
I hope Oreo had a good outcome at the vets.

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.