Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forages Are Mandarin Orange twigs ok?

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
Building my cage, and looking at a curved bridge to add. We had a mandarin orange tree die recently, and I think I could cut and use some of the branches as a bridge.

I've looked as much as I can to find anything saying that mandarin oranges or twigs are good or bad for Guinea's. Not finding anything either way.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Thanks!

RHK

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I've read orange tree branches are fine and mandarins themselves are ok if given rarely cause they're acidic. I would think they would be ok, but then again it might depend on what killed the tree in the first place, as there could be some underlying disease that may be problematic for gp's.
I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your question
Good luck with the cage building, please post pics when it's completed. :)

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
Thanks! We had a leak in our water system during midsummer while we were on vacation. (Phoenix, AZ, and that is not good) Tree died simply from lack of water!

So should be fine...thanks so much. I'll give it a try.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It should be good as long as there's no pesticides or anything else harmful in the branches. I'd inspect them carefully and wipe them down with diluted vinegar, and possibly bake them. Don't want to put anything yucky in with your babies!

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
Hmmm. Ok. We don't use pesticides at all, even on our garden. But good idea to vinegarize and bake them. How diluted and what temp and length of baking?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The same dilution you'd use to clean the cage, about 50/50 vinegar and water (though technically the vinegar from the store is already diluted- just mix it with water).

For baking, about 200F and the length of time depends on the branch. If they're little twigs you probably wouldn't need to do more than an hour, and keep a careful eye on them to make sure they don't burn. You could also leave them outside/in a window to bake in the sun for a couple days as long as you make sure nothing can get into them.

(In case anyone's asking, I know this because it's how to disinfect wood you're going to use for bird perches. I've found it's applicable to pigs also!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
Awesome! Thanks! Does the 115 temps of an Arizona summer count? ;)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Awesome! Thanks! Does the 115 temps of an Arizona summer count? ;)

Wow, that's hot! And you're welcome!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Ahh, Arizona. "Yeah it's 115 but it's a dry heat", they say. My response was always, "Yeah? So is an oven"

lisa325

Cavy Slave

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
Um, how long should i soak the twigs in the vinegar/water?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
You don't need to soak them, just wiping them down or dipping them should be fine. :)

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
Ha! Ok. Rookie mistake. They sure do smell...hope baking them in the oven reduces the vinegar stench.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Let me know how it went!

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
We baked them for about 4 hours. They still smell a little vinegar-y, but not bad. We sat them out to air so hopefully that will go away. I figure i'll use wire from a hangar to form the "bridge". Drill holes through the branches and thread them onto the wire. Should work ok.

I'll use some of the larger sticks to make some "huts" I think. We'll see. Lots to do before then.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm glad it worked out! The smell will decrease over time, I'm sure. Your pigs are lucky to have someone with such creativity. :)

RawhideKid

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I love this kind of no-pressure woodworking. Fun stuff. Very relaxing. Wait until u see the end result. I can't wait!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm looking forward to it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.