Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet UK Immigration with Pigs?

LizaPig

Cavy Slave
Hi!
So, there's a chance I may have to travel to the UK for a few months in the near future and I'm doing some super preliminary research on how I might be able to bring my sweet piggie with me (because my pig is most definitely a priority!). All I'm finding are EU regulations requiring small animals to be quarantined for 6 months, but for some reason all of the forums I've come across are dated prior to 2012. I know there have been some reforms made in regards to the dog/cat quarantine, but does anyone have any insight into what the current rules are for guinea pig/small animal immigration? (Also I read for Ireland that they don't classify guinea pigs as "rodents"?) And especially now that the UK is technically no longer part of the EU?

Unfortunately I won't likely be staying long enough to fulfil the quarantine term, so that's definitely not an option for me. Nevertheless, 3-4 months is, I think, both too long to leave her with a pigsitter, and too long for me to live without her!

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think guinea pigs have to be quarantined.

However, your biggest problem will be getting her flown in. We've had several people, both here and at GL, trying to take pets to Europe. No airline that I remember us discussing will allow guinea pigs to fly in the cabin. That means either a special area in the place (like United's PetSafe area) or as cargo. I would NOT recommend checking a guinea pig into cargo.

In fact, given how traumatic travel can be for guinea pigs, and the problems with keeping them adequately fed and hydrated while in transit, I wouldn't recommend that you do it. Your pig will be far happier and safer with a good pet sitter here than having to travel is not-very-pet-friendly circumstances.

I've actually flown with pigs loads of times before (though only nationally) and I can confirm that United does allow pigs to fly in the cabin; they have to be in a closed carrier and are then considered "carry-on" baggage, so must be stored under the seat for take-off and landing, but in flight I just keep the carrier on my lap, slightly unzipped at top, holding the water bottle in. (It's a bit of a commitment, but well worth it, I think!) Obviously it's not the pig's most favorite thing to do so I wouldn't recommend it as a regular practise, but if necessary it can be quite easily done.
I would just hate for her to get off a plane (traumatic to begin with) and have to adjust to an unsure environment with unknown humans; and six months is a long time in guinea pig years. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.