Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Talking About Guinea Pigs with Friends Who Don't Have Them

Does anybody feel like people get annoyed because you are talking about your guinea pigs or pets in general so much? They are just such a huge part of my life and I love to share all the cute things they did or have done, but not many people really appreciate it. I get a lot of placating nods.

I guess this is a reason I really like this forum. All people want to talk about here is guinea pigs and it is refreshing to have an audience that isn't bored.

What are some of your experiences talking to people about guinea pigs? Are any downright rude? I've had someone ask me what a guinea pig was and then cringe and say never to talk about them again because they are rodents and "rodents are disgusting and belong in sewers"...so there's that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Re: Talking About Guinea Pigs with Friends Who Don't Have Them

If you want to see eyes glaze over in a hurry, try talking to people who aren't pet lovers.......about your cavies. People have to be educated about them and that they can be as entertaining and interesting as cats and dogs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I've gotten responses like, "really??? Guinea pigs???" or "Oh my god you're so lame." This website is really the only place I can talk to other people about piggies

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nikdarg View Post
    I've had someone ask me what a guinea pig was and then cringe and say never to talk about them again because they are rodents and "rodents are disgusting and belong in sewers"...so there's that.
    That annoys me, when people make rude comments about rodents. So ignorant!

Thanks
    Thanks
    718 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

A few years ago I was having my eyes examined at my optometrist and he asked me if I had any pets. I told him I had guinea pigs and he looked at me as if I were silly. He said I've never met anyone other than a child who had a guinea pig. The way he said it really annoyed me. I promptly told him that guinea pigs aren't really the best pet for a child because pigs are fragile creatures and require a significant amount of care. I also found a new eye doctor after that appointment.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

I hate how nobody bats an eye if you say you're a "dog person" or a "cat person", but if you dare admit you're a "guinea pig person"... everyone thinks you're insane.

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I'm lucky that my family endures a high volume of piggie talk, so I get to fulfill my piggie gushing needs with them and keep the piggie talk to a minimum with everyone else. But I do keep pictures of my furbabies in my cubicle. I started with just pigs, and I got of lot of "what is that?" and skeptical looks about an adult owning guinea pigs. Then I got my ratties, and my coworkers were even more horrified. Now I have a dog, and they're like "finally, she got something normal!

I did have someone at work telling me to "just get rid of it" when my pig was sick and I took half the day off to take him to the vet. I was so stunned that I just walked away mid-conversation.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

A lot of people I have talked to look at me like I am crazy if I say my guinea pig went for a vet visit. Either they don't think they are worth the vet or they didn't even know they could be taken there. It makes you worry for people who have pigs and don't know that is an option.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Most of my friends are well acquainted with my pigs and my love for them, it's strangers who make the judgey comments. I've lost count of how many people have confused my pigs for hamsters or gerbils (how??), and have said stuff like "You know they eat those?" or "My dog/cat would kill one in a second," or, "I had a guinea pig when I was a kid but it died."

I don't know why anyone thinks it's okay to immediately imply death when someone tells you about a beloved pet, but it happens to everyone I know who loves animals other than dogs and cats.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaycriae View Post
    I don't know why anyone thinks it's okay to immediately imply death when someone tells you about a beloved pet, but it happens to everyone I know who loves animals other than dogs and cats.
    I feel like that happens a lot with rodents as pets, maybe because they don't live for very long in comparison to other animals. But it really is weird...like why is the thing that you remember most about your pet that it died?

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

The only time I've ever told someone not to talk about a pet is when I tell them I have two new guinea pigs and then proceed to tell me about when they were kids they had pet rats and GPs are only for kids. WHAT????? Wait, I'm from the Bronx, NY originally and I'm sorry, being from NYC, rats only belong in sewers!! I'm sorry if I offended any rat lovers out there, I really don't mean to, but when you stand on a subway platform every day either going to school or work and all you see are rats running around the tracks, that's where they belong as far as this NY person believes.

I have some co-workers who ask me about my new piggies and then there are some that just roll their eyes and walk away. That's okay, I love them and that's all that matters and we can all talk about our babies here.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

It happens to people with rodents in kind of a "I casually neglected it LOL WHOOPS!" way, but people say it about fish and reptiles and such too. I have a friend who's had the same snake since they were six years old (thirteen years), and people still say stuff like "If I saw that thing in my yard I'd kill it with a rake." Like, even knowing that my friend grew up with this animal the way people do with their family dogs.

It's just super insensitive- nobody has to like snakes, or rats, or guinea pigs, but if somebody really cares about their pet there's no reason to insult it, and especially don't talk about killing it or others of its species!

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

My family and friends are understanding, especially since they know I'm allergic to every other animal with fur. When they learn I have piggies people I'm just meeting seem to enjoy pointing out that people in South America eat guinea pigs. Or as someone else said earlier, they start in on a horrific story about the pig they or their friends had as kids and what happened to it. Ugh!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koalamissy View Post
    when you stand on a subway platform every day either going to school or work and all you see are rats running around the tracks, that's where they belong as far as this NY person believes.
    I've never thought about it, but I think that's where my aversion to rats comes from. Intellectually, I know that they are delightful pets, loyal to their humans, and that people who love them........really love them. But like you, when I look at them in the pet store, my mind still sees them running across the subway platform at 0530 in the morning.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom is the same way! She hates rodents and can't stand to touch them, she always talks about how rats and such are "dirty" *eye roll* but yes, I feel like if I ever talk about my pets the people around me kinda just tune me out. Especially my boyfriend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List